Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-620 nearly finished...

I do not take credit for the finish - that's not my department! I mainly do the "guts." :-)

My friend stripped this set down and applied a subtle layer of oak(?) stain to bring out the highlights, then made it "slightly" glossy. I was able to paint the ring around the dial as it had tarnished over the years. We are not purists by any sense, but simply wanted something that appeals to the respective person who will be owning it (me in this case)...

I have some original-style grill cloth and original backing but we left it at his store. Will hopefully be getting that back today!

You may notice that the speaker is unusual. The original voice coil was damaged, so I used a PM speaker from a Hammond organ, of all things, but it seems to sound good / better... I put an appropriate resistor inline with the orignal voice coil location...

To-do - replace decals, which are on order, and perhaps shine up the dials a bit more. I have been using Novus II with good results in the past...

Hope you enjoy this picture!

Matt

Looks pretty darn good. I think the outer edge of that ring around the dial is supposed to be black.

Very nice finish indeed!

Best regards,

Mike

Nice job. As Bill mentioned, the outer edge of the escutcheon ring should be dark, not bright brass. The outer edge of the originals were painted dark brown.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN