Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1950's TV

I have a friend who has a early 50's console TV I looked at it ones ,I'm more interested in old radios than TV's, kind ? I think it's not a PHILCO, he wants to get rid of it ,may go to the dump anyone want to save it? ,it's in northern NY 30 miles from CANADA, email or call as soon as possible 315-583-5765

I don't want it, but if it has to go, you might be able to salvage quite a few tubes, the speaker, the power transformer, and as many tube sockets as you want to drill out rivets, clip off, and clean off. Just be carefull of the CRT, they are dangerous if they implode. Probably other components are not worth mining, other than a few pots and power resistors that are still in spec.

Some of those old sets also had very nice cabinets which could be re-worked into other uses.

There are those who would like to embark on a crusade to save yet another old set from the crusher. If it is pristene, don't ruch to a conslusion.

Others may be more optimistic.

The picture tube has gotten broken, the rest of the set as I remember is not in bad shape

IT's a Motorola and I'd say very restorable! I've manage to have my friend keep it out of the dumpster so far .

You may want to post over here: http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19 These are the B/W tv guys.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry