Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-180 Restoration

I have recently restored a friends 40-180 who obtained it from his late grandfather.

The cabinet was in very good shape so I just took some 0000 steel wool to it and treated it with Howards "restor a finish" and "Feed n wax". Both are excellent products (thanks to the Philco Phorum for the recommendation) and are very easy to apply.

I was going to let the metal bezel go untouched but it didn't look good after treating the cabinet. I sanded down the bezel and painted it with Rust-oleum Aged Brass paint #254452 which I feel looks respectable.

I have also posted in the Electronics Restoration about the recapping to the electronics.

Attached are some before and after photos:

[Image: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4104/img0064zz.jpg]
[Image: http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8436/img0172m.jpg]
[Image: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8904/img0173hv.jpg]

Looks very good! Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi "Southern",
The radio looks like it is in good shape. We like to hear that inherited radios are kept in the family, and not sold off for a few dollars. Your friend's grandfather would be proud that he has it.
The escutcheon you painted looks good too.I used a paint called 'brass' by Dupli-color. I don't think they make it anymore. It was a toned down goldish color. Not the bright gold we often see.

On your "before" photo, it seems that someone removed the finish already. There may come a time later on, after you get the electronics resotred that you want to attempt to add the color back into the set. We can help with that when the time comes. There are reproduction decals that you can buy also for a refinish. For now though the set looks fine Icon_smile

In any case the 40-180 is a great set, one being my first console when I started collecting. I since found another one I plan on refinshing maybe this year.

A while back, someone sent me the instruction manual for this particular set. You can go to the post below, and scroll down to my post. I have 2 links there where you can downnload that 4 page instruction manual.

Expired link deleted by site admin.

Good luck!
Gary.

Gary rabbitt,

Thanks for the link to the instruction manual. I will pass it on to the owner. The owner plans on passing the radio on to his son who is now 5 years old.

I have applied new reproduction decals above the four knobs as you can see in the second photo, kind of hard to see with the camera flash. I kept the large Philco decal alone since I wanted to keep some "originality" to the radio.

When you stated "On your "before" photo, it seems that someone removed the finish already" are you referring to the cabinet finish or the escutcheon. The cabinet was in very good condition to begin with, veneer intact and no water damage.

The owner was very pleased with the refurbished radio, when he brought it home he turned it on and thought something was wrong with it since the sound didn't come on immediately. Then he looked in the back and saw the tubes warming up and remembered that tubes require time to warm-up. Having tube amps for years I assumed that everyone knew that.

Hi Southern,
I seen the escutcheon that was in need of a repaint, and you did do a very good job at using a color that looks original.
I was referring to the cabinet wood.
The original Philco decal remains right in the center. You can see the original finish color around it where the finish was not removed.Someone stripped it down, but left the area around the decal alone.
The cabinet is indeed in great shape, however it does not have any of it's original color or lacquer applied. I am only guessing, but perhaps the owner (or previous owners) had stripped off the finish years ago? The 40-180 was not that light, the base and non veneered areas on the top sides had colored toners applied to hide the cheaper wood.
It looks ok like it is, but I just wanted you to know.

Here's a hint about those added decals around the knobs. The newerrepo decals are quite thin. They are made to be applied to a cabinet before the final coats of clear are applied. That way, they are protected. Modern decals aren't like the ones we used to use on our old plastic car models. These are thin and suceptible to damage quickly is left unprotected.

You can appply a thin coat of clear over them with a fine artists brush. Apply slightly larger than the decal It will be sealed in place.
Anyway, I am happy that you have brought this set back to working condition, and I know the owner will love it.
Take care,
Gary.

Very nice job! Icon_biggrin