Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-124 Cabinet Restoration

Could you tell me what kind of wood I have? What color of lacquer to use? Appropriate grill cloth pattern? Another thing - there is a heat protective pad under the chassis. Is this asbestis. Thanks. David Woodward

Hi David

39-6294 is not a valid Philco model number. That is a part number, most likely the part number of the tube layout sticker.

If you can furnish a photo of your radio, I can give you the correct model number and will then be able to answer your questions about the cabinet.

I can tell you that, yes, that is asbestos under the chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Philco 39-6294 is listed in "Collector's Guide to Antique Radios." It is also on the label on the inside of the cabinet, The chassis is marked 40-124. The case does look like the 40-124C in you book.

WildDog Wrote:Philco 39-6294 is listed in "Collector's Guide to Antique Radios." It is also on the label on the inside of the cabinet, The chassis is marked 40-124. The case does look like the 40-124C in you book.

(taking a long, deep breath and counting to ten) Icon_rolleyes

Let me say it again - there is no such Philco model as a 39-6294. And I don't give a D**n what author says so in which book - THEY ARE WRONG!!!

And I will repeat, that 39-6294 is the part number of the tube layout sticker, not the set's model number.

If the chassis is marked 40-124, it is a 40-124. Period, end of story.

I apologize for the Savage-style rant, but H**l, I've only spent over 20 years studying Philco. What do I know. Icon_rolleyes

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sorry, I wasn't questioning your expert knowledge. I was just pointing out where I got the number. Can you answer my origin questions?

Sure... Icon_smile

The wood is surely walnut veneer.

Color of lacquer: Medium Walnut overall, with what appears to be Medium Dark Walnut on the top and bottom trim.

Grille cloth: This is one of those Philcos for which there is no exact reproduction grille cloth. Pattern #6 from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters is probably as close as you are going to get.

Asbestos: Yes, it is.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you.

Since asbestos is so dangerous should one forgo any attempt at restoration? I notice quite a few of these small Philcos from around 1940 have this under their chassis.

It's your call. Some folks remove the stuff (while wearing a mask, and working outdoors on a non-windy day), sealing the asbestos in a Ziploc bag and disposing of it. Others seal the old asbestos sheet with lacquer or shellac. Still others do nothing.

Of those who remove the asbestos, some replace it with a high temperature gasket material available at auto parts stores; while others do not replace it with anything.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi,
I gently brush on a couple coats of clear lacquer, or varnish to the asbestos. It won't come out and bite, but you just need to be careful not to breathe the stuff. I think clear coating it is safer than the removal of it. It certainly is no reason not to attempt a restore of your set. The chassis will cover most of it in the end.

Dave, you may find numbers on tags in the Phico sets. As you have seen, the labels will have a 'label number', but you may also find a "cabinet label". Thise may be brown with white writing. Those are not the model number.
Generally, unless a label says Model Number, you may find a blue and white label with the model, or a gold label with the model and tube layout on it. I wouldn't rely on a book, but doing another search on the model from photos, and Ron's model archives can give a true model number of your future sets.

Gary,

Thanks a lot for your attention to my post. I examined all my radios and found that I've already restored several with the asbestos in the bottom. I've got several more to work on and I think I'll take your advice about coating them with something.

As to the label markings I found that odd number also stamped on the old cardboard backing for the grill cloth. I did find the correct Philco 40-123 label under some tape that someone had used to hold the power cord. Some people really make a mess of things.

David