Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 650 restoration.

This was my 650 when I brought it home:

[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2530...a986_z.jpg]

The veneer on the sides was completely missing, the top was quite messed up, and someone had tried and failed to strip the control area (is there a proper term for that area?). Also, the cabinet was generally in a falling-apart state.

This is only my second attempt at restoring a cabinet. The first one I did was in almost pristine shape compared to this one.

I largely disassembled the thing. The top came off, the control area came out, the sides detached, the grill bars removed. In most cases what little glue remained holding it together gave up with only slight tapping from a dead-blow hammer.

This is my first experience with wood veneer application. It was not a good one. Veneering a curved surface turns out to be surprisingly hard. It went so bad that I will have to redo it some year. I'm not going to show pictures of the sides...where it is quite ick. I have now commenced collecting enough parts to put together a vacuum bag veneer press for the next attempt.

Here is the result. I have yet to order some toning lacquer to give some of the details (the vertical bars, the grills bars, and the crenelations on top) some more contrast.

[Image: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5345...59d0_z.jpg]

Although I am not happy over all with it, I can at least now handle pulling the cabinet out of my garage and into the house proper.

Well, Audin, I can understand about not being happy with your work. I've been there, more than once. But in the photos, it looks to me like you've done a very good job of repairing that cabinet. Icon_clap

Now for toning it, you can see in your first photo what parts need to be toned Extra Dark Walnut - basically, all of the trim including the speaker grille and surrounding trim, the long trim up the sides of the front panel and speaker grille, the top and bottom trim. The top of the cabinet and the sides will need Medium Walnut. It should look great when you're finished. Many of these cabinets do not get refinished properly, and lose some of that dark trim they should have.

Good job so far...and good luck finishing it up!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It looks good! A 650 console is a tough one to find, and a nice addition to your collection.
Agree that veneer application on anything other than a flat run can be challenging. Additionally you often discover that angles have migrated from 90 degrees and flat surfaces are really un-flat enough to leave air pockets beneath your new veneer.

Follow Ron's advice on the toner application. Other than that it looks real good. I may try some veneer work this summer on a top of a 20's battery set. I just hope it comes out as nice as yours did.

audin Wrote:This was my 650 when I brought it home:

[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2530...a986_z.jpg]

The veneer on the sides was completely missing, the top was quite messed up, and someone had tried and failed to strip the control area (is there a proper term for that area?). Also, the cabinet was generally in a falling-apart state.

This is only my second attempt at restoring a cabinet. The first one I did was in almost pristine shape compared to this one.

I largely disassembled the thing. The top came off, the control area came out, the sides detached, the grill bars removed. In most cases what little glue remained holding it together gave up with only slight tapping from a dead-blow hammer.

This is my first experience with wood veneer application. It was not a good one. Veneering a curved surface turns out to be surprisingly hard. It went so bad that I will have to redo it some year. I'm not going to show pictures of the sides...where it is quite ick. I have now commenced collecting enough parts to put together a vacuum bag veneer press for the next attempt.

Here is the result. I have yet to order some toning lacquer to give some of the details (the vertical bars, the grills bars, and the crenelations on top) some more contrast.

[Image: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5345...59d0_z.jpg]

Although I am not happy over all with it, I can at least now handle pulling the cabinet out of my garage and into the house proper.

I have found that using either band clamps or contact cement seems to work well and holding down veneer around a curve, another way is to make some curved glue blocks that conform to the profile of the curve. If you do decide to redo some of the veneer work I would like to make a suggestion, the top of the cabinet would have originally used book matched stump or burl walnut veneer (French not black walnut) for the center section to match the control panel.
Best Regards
Arran