Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring 38-4 finish

I have had a Philco Model 38-4 for 33 years. It used to work fine but hasn't in some years now. I've finally decided to fix and restore it but I am a complete novice. Specifically I'm concerned with the finish which is generally okay except for some bleached areas as in the attached photo. Can someone recommend how I might go about fixing these spots and generally restoring the original finish?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2-...directlink

Hi Larry and welcome!
The area along the edge of your cabinet is missing the finish. Originally Philco used a toned lacquer to color the wood.I would carefully mask off light area on the cabinet with the LEAST sticky masking tape and paper. Sand lightly with 400 or 600G paper just to take off any rough edges from the original finish.
Respray with toned lacquer to match the original. Then a coat or two of gloss clear lacquer to protect the toned lacquer.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. If anyone can recommend a specific product I'd appreciate the tip. Also I'm assuming the entire cabinet should then be given an application of something, a wax maybe? Otherwise she's endured all these years of storage and moves remarkably well (cosmetically).

Okay, can anyone tell me what color(s) toned lacquer to use when touching up the finish on my 38-4? There are so many shades and it's really hard to tell from swatches, especially because the fluted areas appear darker than the flat front.

I would suggest Medium Walnut toner over the majority of the cabinet, with some Perfect Brown on the trim for a little contrast.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi,
I am only going to address the trim. If you only 'sand smooth' the flaking areas, then try to spray toner on it, you may end up with uneven color.
Because the light and dark areas will just get darker. Your darks will get darker, and the lights will get darker. So you end up with light and dark places, but both darker that before, if that makes sense.

I'd suggest that the trim areas be taken down to the bare wood. Either carefully using a stripper or better still a 'refinisher'. The second way, which I would only attempt if you have experience, is to use a scraper. Held at the correct angle,(and using a factory made one) , and working carefully, you can remove the flaking finish without harming the wood.
BUT, if you are not careful, you will gouge the wood, or dig in with the corner of a scraper. Icon_eek

For me, a couple of the recent sets I have removed the finish from were scraped. They had flaking finish and it came off just fine. Another benefit is it saves on refinisher or stripper. Of course, when you are done scraping, you should wipe the surface with refinisher to remove anything that still remains.

The thought of scraping a finish sounds harmful but it can be done without damage. If I ever get around to it. I may make a short video on that method.

Just throwing my thoughts about what I'd do to this set.