Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-22CS/7CS finish

I restore furniture, and have a customer who wants me to refinish his 38-7CS/22CS. The finish is worn through in places on the top, but the rest of the cabinet is fine.
Questions: I watch Antique Roadshow regularly and they constantly preach "leave the original finish". Having looked thru the gallery and seeing there were not many of these made, will the value be lessened if I refinish it?
If I do, what finish to use?
Any ballpark estimate on value?
I am not sure if the unit works. Would it be worth restoring electrically/electronically?
It is missing the center knob, where is the best source for a replacement knob?
Thanks to all in advance!
Pete

Hello and welcome.

The original finish was lacquer, and only lacquer should be used if the cabinet needs refinishing. The professionals use aniline dyes added to clear lacquer to make their own "toning" lacquer, but guys like me who are not very skilled at cabinet refinishing often use a spray can product made by Mohawk Finishing Products. It comes in two varieties: Mohawk Tone Finish, which uses pigments, and Mohawk Ultra Classic, which uses dyes. Both are tinted lacquers which will add color as well as lacquer to the cabinet. The toners should be applied sparingly, especially the Tone Finish with pigments; too much pigmented lacquer will build up quickly and take on the appearance of paint.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/

A good choice to match the original finish on the top of the 38-7CS would be Medium Walnut.

If you know what you are doing, you should be able to "selectively" refinish the piece by refinishing the top only, leaving the rest alone.

The value may or may not be affected, depending on how well the top is refinished. If it is done skillfully (i.e. done so that it looks original in appearance), it can increase the value of the set.

Is the set worth restoring electronically? That's your customer's decision. If your customer plans on reselling the radio, then no, it isn't worth having it electronically restored. But if he/she plans to keep and use the radio, then yes, it is.

You can find sources of knobs here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/resource.htm

But first, send a PM to Phorum member ekimetsok. He sells used knobs, and probably has what you need.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you for your reply and info!
I will talk to the customer.
Pete

Ron,
I did send a PM to ekimetsok, he does have the knob.
Thank you again.
Pete