Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 10-S-???

Hello -

My purpose for this post is three-fold:

- I wanted to re-identify this radio because I can't remember what it is!
- I wanted to see if I could find any advertisement literature for it...
- I wanted to show off my good friend Rick's wood-working handiwork.

I met Rick because he was looking for a radio technician and I wanted to recommend my friend and fellow ham, Paul. Apparently I was so adamant about Paul's skills (and rightly so!) that Rick asked me if I could do it (I guess I made Paul sound too expensive... ). I had never done a paid radio "gig" before, but Rick was the perfect customer and we have become good friends and trade for one another's services: He does my woodwork and I do his electronics...

To make this long story only slightly longer, I would love to find some "popular literature" which features this radio and give it to him for Christmas or slightly thereafter...

I think it is a 10-S-2?? but I honestly can't remember the specifics, as I am more of a "Philco" guy...

So, I know this is a stretch for #2, but could anyone tell me:

- What is the last digits of the model?
- How to find where this might have been advertised and subsequently obtain that document?

Thank you very much,

Matt
[attachment=1]

[attachment=0]

Matt,
Think your Zenith may be a model 10S153, 1937 model year. You may research this on oldradiozone.com & radioatticarchive.com.
Nice set. John

It seems as though the attention (from marketing) that year was largely focused on the "chairside" set, but I think that I may be able to find a broader marketing brochure from 1937, given a flexible timeline. :-)

I did find a neat book, however, that I think I will get in the interim, during my research:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/books/2515.html

"Zenith Radio, The Glory Years, 1936-1945 Illustrated Catalog and Database"

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Send me the serial number on the back of the chassie

Your set is a model 10-S-153 from 1937. Does it have the gold beehive over the speaker back? It seems most do have the acoustic adapter, but some don't. Very nice woodworking.

Matt, I have to say, your 10-S-153 looks really nice! Icon_thumbup

I have one of those also, but it needs a lot of work. Someone painted the thing yellow, and lost the trim that goes on the sides and bottom of the speaker opening. They also lost the escutcheon. Funny, though, they kept the grillebars with it.

I have the trim on the way from a donor 10-S-153 cabinet, and won an eBay auction for the escutcheon. I'll still need knobs and a dial glass.

I paid $20 for the radio, and I'll probably have around $150 in it after I acquire everything it needs, and have the cabinet stripped to get rid of that awful yellow. But I think that is still less than current market value?

Oh, and even though mine was missing trim, knobs, escutcheon and dial glass, it still has its "beehive" over the back of the speaker. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN