Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Modern radio-old controls

I'm probably in the wrong place. I am a newbe with a question. I have a unknown maker '30's style radio head which I am planning to install in a 1936 styled kit-car. The radio head consists of a round tuning indicator located above two knobs. Kinda looks like a Mickey Mouse upside down.

I would like to take a modern cd-radio combination and actually turn it on and off and hopefully tune it using this radio head.

I may be using the wrong term. What I am calling a radio head is a dash mounted remote control for a large radio which I understand was usually located in the trunk of the automobile and connected to the "radio head" with cables similar to speedometer cables.

I could probably put a mechanical switch on the "hot" power line for a radio but tuning and selecting function has me baffled. (I know about as much about electricity as I do spelling)

I thought some modern radio with a detachable face plate might be adaptable to mechanical controls. I would like to have an AM-FM radio with CD and a remote CD player.

Does anyone have any idea how this could be done and which radio cd-player might best lend itself to this type of adaption.

I have considered mounting the radio head on a thin piece of wood directly infront of the modern radio and installing push buttons that make direct contact with the push button controls on the radio but I fear that would destroy the 1930's look I am trying to achieve for my dash.

Thanks for any assistance you may give me. Shiftless3spd

Messages In This Thread
Modern radio-old controls - by shiftless3spd - 02-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Re: Modern radio-old controls - by exray - 02-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Re: Modern radio-old controls - by shiftless3spd - 02-23-2011, 04:00 PM