Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Tropic Radio 48-821 code 121

I live in Mexico city and in my 10 years collecting vintage radios, I have seen several Philco Tropic radios that according the model, I am not able to find them on the Riders nor Beitman´s

the stickers are printed in USA but the models do not appear in any of the technical info I have inclusive on the internet

Does anyone knows something about this model 48-821 as this appears on the original Philco Sticker

Tube layout is as follow

14J7
7B7
14B6
50A5
35Y4

It has three Short wave bands and the Standard Broadcast band

I am looking for the schematic of this radio

Regards

Franky

I live in Argentina, I have a Philco tropic model 821. I dont know how this radio come to this country, somebody give it to my father
The mine has 4 sw bands. I restored tha cabinet years ago, and this week I finished to restore the chassis, the problem was somebody modified the output stage and the power supply because here may be was not available the tubes 50A5 and 35Y4 and was replaced for similar octals.
I got the originals from Antique Elect. Supply but my problem was locate the schematic. My sticker inside the cabinet show only model "821".
I guess this one was after war model because before war philco circuits not use tubes series "14". So I located all the model 47-48 and 49 availables at Riders and compared the valve layout. After that I checked my RMS Philco radio Manual for 1941 and locate several models 110-220(may be that means all was tropics models) and located a very similar circuit, the philco 41-713. at least output and power supply match very well my tropic parts. So I wired the new output tuve using this schematics , power up the radio and work it perfect. I also calibrate guessing the padders and work excelent in BC and all the SW bands.
For the power supply I wired using a model 47 diagram with 35Y4.
I can send you a photo of my radio. I need some help to locate a missing plastic knob, a photo also of the chassis, because may be your radios are more complete that the mine. Mi glass dial is cracked but I know there is not remedy for this.
I guess If we can locate a RMS Radio service manual for 1948 or 1947 our model must be located there or a very similar models must be there.

Oscar Godenzi

Good morning,

RMS (Radio Manufacturers Service) did not return after World War II. Instead, it became PHILCO SERVICE.

Philco published, and I have a copy of, a 1946-47 Home Radio Yearbook that gives the schematics for all of the 1946-47 models. As I recall, I do not believe it gives any Tropic schematics (800 series). But I am not in a position to check my copy right now - it's at home and I am not.

Chuck...you have a copy too, don't you? Can you look and see, please? Thanks.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'll have to look later this evening. I do have a few scattered 1948 service bulletins.

I was wrong about the 1946-47 Home Radio Yearbook, it DOES give schematics for the following Tropic models: 46-806, 46-816, 46-817, 46-818, 46-860 & 46-888.

I looked in my large binder of 1946-49 Philco service manuals, but unfortunately I do not have any manuals for 1948 Tropic models in there.

Gentlemen, would you like to share photos of your Tropic models for inclusion in the Photo Gallery? It would be very much appreciated.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I was out for a long time, I readed your reply, Im interested if you can scan the schematics or service manuals from yours models tropics 1946. During my trips to US I was buying RMS manuals from 1937(auto radios), 1939-1940 ans some philco service brochures 1946-1948. Still I can't locate info regarding to the 821.
Respect to take and share photos from my model Ill do soon.

Thank you, Oscar Godenzi