Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

High-Efficiency Aerial Question

Hi Gus!
I am actually wondering what, exactly, makes up the "Philco High Efficiency Aerial for use with the built in automatic Foreign Tuning System" In short- What's in the box besides the longwire?

By observation, it appears it is:
Longwire antenna
Lead in wire
Ceramic pass-through tube for wire
1 pair insulators with nails
1 pair plastic or ceramic wire insulators
1 Lightning Arrestor
1 clamp
1 metal can attached to lead in wire

So:
How long is the long wire? Is it one loop(single long wire) or two(dipole)?
How long and what type is the lead-in?
What is in the little metal can? Is it simply a connection point for the longwire to the lead in? Or is there a condensor or such within?

I have the lightning arrestor. RS can help with the longwire itself, the feed through tube, and insulators should present no problems: but the can has me wondering!

Next antenna question, How is it all connected to the radio?

Last one- If I connect an in-the-apartment longwire, it should connect to the number 1 terminal. Is it ok to connect one of the others to a cold water pipe ground? If so, which one is best, and how should the jumper be arranged?

The long wire questions are so I can get one together. The apartment question is because I am stuck in one for the time being, but when I get my own place(as in house), I will be constructing a longwire array...

Thanks for any help!
Scott

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

This aerial system is a dipole with a matching transformer to a twited-pair (balanced) lead-in to help eliminate local noise pickup. See my site: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/mystery/40-6112.htm

The "Foreign Tuning System" is an antenna switching arrangement (part of the bandswitch) for selecting either a balanced feed (SW, All-Wave) and unbalanced (local BCB), depending on which band was selected on the radio.

With the Philco High-Efficiency Aerial in place, SW bands enjoyed less noise pickup (due to balanced lead-in). In BC mode the antenna looks like a longwire for local pickup. Today, there is more ambient and household electrical noise than in 1937-38, so an un-shielded twisted-pair lead-in used today would not totally "cure" interference pickup by the antenna system. Back then only motors and "electrical machinery" and an occasional passing streetcar were the major sources of noise.

Thanks Chuck- I can now make a reasonable approximation of an indoor version of this antenna... And later, put together a nice copy of the exterior one(when I get "The House"...).

I still would like to know: how is the inside of the can set up? what is the "transformer" like? Is it simply a small pair of RF coils, or a regular wound coil transformer, such as a power or audio transformer? What are the specs- can I make one? Does anyone have a spare available? Icon_smile

Thanks for any replies,
Scott

Don't know, but it's an RF transformer. Never had one to take apart. Specs and Philco info do not say anything either. Don't know if there was any impedance transformation either. A dipole has a nominal impedance of 75 ohms. Don't know what that twisted-pair lead-in wire was. The transformer could have been 1:1, but I suspect the nominal radio balanced input impedance is probably higher. Won't be critical for reception anyway.

Did you get the two jpegs I emailed you from work? Didn't see a reply from you about them. Lemme know...

Hi Chuck- Thanks, I did get it, I just sent you a "Thanks" note. I again appreciate all the help you give me, and everyone on this phorum. I just wish I could be as helpful, but someday! Icon_smile

Thanks again,
Scott

There is a complete set on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/6611556332

I've seen that particular set about twice on e-bay now. I don't think he sold it last time at that price. There have been about 4 or 5 in the past couple months: seems a regular item on e-bay. Going rate seems to be in the $25-30 range at end of auction. I hold back from bidding once it hits $15, because I know I am likely to bid too much, and then overpay. I do really want one, it is just not a necessity quite yet, so I figure there is time to wait one out on e-bay. I can build/assemble pretty much everything except the transformer and lightning arrestor, and I just got the arrestor... Icon_smile

Thanks for the tip- It is on my watch list... ;)

Scott

I know the feeling I really do not want to spend high dollars on something sealed just to open it and use it. I will wait for one opened or missing minor replaceable parts at a reasonable price. If that is possible. I'm really getting burned out on E-Bays bidders over pricing. My house was built in 1940 and has an antenna and ground built in. The antenna runs the length of the attic and the ground hooks under the house. Both connecting to a plate on the wall. All my radios work good off this except for my 77, but that's another story. So when you get your house just run the antenna in the attic that way nothing will be visible from outside.

Richard

Wow- That's a neat set up! Send me details, if possible, please... I'll file them to have handy when I do get "The House"...

I do bid high on e-bay sometimes, but it depends how badly I want something... And usually, if I do, I bid outrageously so, but I'm prepared to pay if someone fights me on it. Usually I do get lucky, and am within reason on my winning bid. Sometimes, the other guy outbids me, and I put it up to being not the right karma for that purchase at this time, so the next one will be it... Sort of like when I go antique shopping, see something I like or want, but decide to let it ride for now, and if it is there next time, it's mine!

Thanks-
Scott

At first, I did not know what this plate with two screw on knobs was on the lower part of the wall in the living room. So I investigated, pulling the plate I found one wire blue rubber coated going up the wall and the other black going down the wall. The blue one ends up in the attic suspended on the rafters w/ porcelain hangers. The black goes under the house connected to what appears to be a rod driven into the ground.
A couple of times I have bid to much for something I've wanted only to have buyers remorse or find it going for a lot less later on a different auction. I guess that is life. Live and learn.
Richard

I almost paid a good deal over $100 for a passenger side mirror for a 1969 Plymouth on e-bay. I was out bid at $150. About two weeks later, I picked up a very nice, but over-spray painted one for $8 at Hershey...

I have almost done that with aerials a couple times, but I hold my horses, as I am pretty sure another will come up soon enough. Now the Philco 088 Signal Generator and matching multimeter and Philco marked box, well that was a different story. It was coming here, period...

Scott

Sometimes you just have to get it .No matter the price. Just explain to the wife it is a once and a life time find. (YA SURE). Let me guess 69 Roadrunner.

Richard

Close- Belvedere... Miss that car sometimes... Icon_smile Lime--Light Metallic- factory paint, 50k miles, 318, and a great runner.

Scott

Almost had me a 58 plym. Belvedere, but on inspection found rear had been pulled and about a gallon of bondo held it together. Never the less I got stuck with a 40 Plymouth and a 38 Chrysler. Fun cars. I miss my 74 Challenger built '73 340cid auto 4:11 rear And a whopping 8 miles to the gallon on premium. Maybe I don't miss it that much.

Back to the antenna issue... I seem to have come up with something- I ran a horizontal semi ladder... Basically a pair of long wires: 22 gauge, 24' long, 1' separation, 3/4" from the ceiling, mounted on plastic sewing bobbins held to the ceiling by drywall screws. At the radio end, they are met by another pair of wires perpendicular to the first set, with the same mountings, about 16' long. One side of each pair meets with the #1, the other with the #2, and the jumper between 3&4, with a wire to cold water pipe ground.

Wire down from the lines is FM dipole wire- the clear plastic stuff with 2- 22 gauge wires with 1/2' separation. I may change this, based on feedback here.

SW- the higher ranges are relatively quiet, but it is late night/early morning her, so not unusual. Lower SW bands seem somewhat more active- I picked up China, and Cuba, Cuba a much better signal. On AM I immediately picked up a good signal from 650AM WSM, Nashville, Tn....(I am in Maple Shade, NJ, near Philadelphia, Pa.)

I may add a third pair, at a 45 angle between the first two pairs. Similar to what I used to run around the living room at another house I was in years ago.

I still have some tweaking to do to the arrangement. I initially had one of those blasted .00047 caps as a bogus balun, but while it did a decent job levelling, it also took too much signal. So I clipped it right out. Might try a tiny pF ceramic, or some sort of coil arrangement... I hve fun messing about this way... lol... Just wish they'd let me run a long wire here for real!

Comments? Icon_smile
Scott