Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 38-7 1660 doesn't play well

I have just restored a Philco 38-7 console radio. Cabinet looks great, chassis looks good and I took it to a friend who got the radio to work--he has an excellent reputation in this field and he has done wonders with my other radios I have taken to him. Anyway, the radio stations came in very clear at his house. I took the radio home, put it back in the cabinet and now the only radio station that doesn't come well at all is the one I wanted to listen to most (1660 Classical in KC). Do I have a trimmer problem or is the problem with the antennae? I have a Philco 41-280 inside my house (the 38-7 is in the garage) that picks up 1660 very well. I don't get this. Should I try to ground it better? Should I try to install an internal wave magnet ant like other Philco's have and see if that works? I am at a loss here. Thanks for any suggestions or tips and how to solve this.
SF/MG

What kind of antenna did your friend use? The 38-7 needs an EXTERNAL antenna of at least 20-30 feet long - connected to the RED antenna terminal screw. Run an insulated wire around the baseboards or ceiling moulding, for example. Ideally, it should be an outdoor antenna up in the clear with proper lightning arrestor, ground rod, etc. A random wire indoor antenna, will work too, depending on the building metal and electrical wiring in proximity.

A built-in "loop" will not do what you need. The 41-280 was designed to work with a specific built-in antenna, the 38-7 was not.

Check on Ebay, MadGhost you would be surprised how often you see Philco All Wave antenna kits on ebay. I have picked up two of them (complete with instructions in the original box), these kits include standoff and lighting arrestors and you can usually pick them up for ~$20.00. I think most of the radios up to the early 40's did not have the built in loop antennas so it is not surprising you can pick up anything.

I didn't have much time last night to do an extensive "comm-ex" so in an attempt to follow your suggestions, I ran a wire from what I think is the red screw terminal up the wall and across my garage ceiling and then connected it to the frame of my garage door. The reception of course, was radically improved, so I thank you. I suppose in effect that I grounded the ant when I terminated the ant wire (really speaker wire in this case) with the garage door frame (best guess from the field expedient ground class for a PRC 77 I remember from 26 years ago). Does the second speaker wire molded parallel with the other shunt or interfere with reception? Also, do I need the second speaker wire at all (I have it connected to the adj screw on the termina). I am none the less intrigued by the All Wave antennae kit. What is a lighting arrestor?-first time I heard of it (obviously, I am new to this hobby).
Thanks again to all for your help.
SF/MG

Here is a link to Chuck's site that shows one, http://www.philcorepairbench.com/mystery/40-6112.htm
Basically it is designed to improve the signal gain performance over a standard wire antenna. It has two leads of twisted wire that connect to a transformer that connect a coax type cable the runs into your house. It has glass standoffs so the antenna is isolated from trees poles or whatever you connect it to and the return line has standoffs also. There is a ceramic block that you connect the outside lead to, then a lead that connects to a good "earth" ground and a terminal for the house lead. The block is set up that if lightning strikes the antenna that it shorts before the power spike gets to your radio and does any damage. Most electric fences have lightning arrestors on them also so if you make your own outside antenna you can go to a TSC store and buy one but the All-wave antennas pop up on ebay quite often and I have not paid more than $26 for either of mine including shipping. Here is a link to one for more modern radio/tv equip but the principle is the same, http://www.rflinx.com/Cables-Connectors-...restor.htm