Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Questions about 1935 Philco 16B

Hi, I,m new to this forum, I just purchased this restored 16B because I had heard about the great performance. This radio seems to work great on shortwave but will barely pick up a local 5000 watt standard broadcast station about 2 miles away. I'm using about a 15 foot wire for antenna and no ground. Also the chassis bolts are wrong what size should these bolts be. I don;t have much experience with with these radios so are there any things to look for to improve performance. Looking under the chassis it does seem to have most of the caps replaced. Thanks, Archie

Hi Archie and Welcome to the group!
That's a really a tough question. It would probably require a good going over on the work bench. It could be anything from a bad connection to a dirty bandswitch. There are a few quick things you can try which might point you in the right direction. Try tuning in the AM broadcast station and then touch the cap on top of the #78 rf amp tube. Does it get louder? Try the same on the #77mixer tube. Get louder? Double check the tubes to see if they are in the right places as you set uses a bunch of 77's and 78's. If they are mixed up the set will play but maybe not so well.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

When I smell a rat, this is always the first one: Did the character who re-capped the set do an alignment when he was finished? Sounds to me like he just replaced a few capacitors, and called it restored. The alignment of that set could be a mile off.

Yes, all of the things you heard about the Philco 16 are true. It was a monumental set, and a demon for performance. You have one of the best performing radios that was made in the thirties. If you can find someone who knows how to align it, and has the equipment, the set can knock you on the floor with its operation!

Hi, Thanks for the replies . I thought that since it worked well on shortwave that the basic alignment should be ok. The radio was shipped about 600 miles ups so something could have happened in shipment Are the chassis bolts a #12 The ones that came with it are #10 and fit loosely and will not tighten? I'll try your suggestions. I had the guy that I bought it from ship the chassis and speaker separately to protect them well he took them to a ups store and they filled the speaker cone with Styrofoam peanuts and the wrapped it in bubble wrap ruining the cone.The chassis and cabinet were packed well. I had Hank Brazeal re cone it he did a great job. Archie

Hi, I checked the RF amp and osc as suggested. When I touch the cap on the RF amp reception comes in loud and clear. I assume that means there. is a problem between the antenna and RF amp. I cleaned the band switch. Any suggestions. Thanks, Archie

Doug Houston Wrote:When I smell a rat, this is always the first one: Did the character who re-capped the set do an alignment when he was finished? Sounds to me like he just replaced a few capacitors, and called it restored. The alignment of that set could be a mile off.

Yes, all of the things you heard about the Philco 16 are true. It was a monumental set, and a demon for performance. You have one of the best performing radios that was made in the thirties. If you can find someone who knows how to align it, and has the equipment, the set can knock you on the floor with its operation!

I had a discussion the other day with a guy on the other forum about one of these, a chicken coup special that sold on fleabay for too much money. It was set with a moisture damaged cabinet, finish flaking off, lifting veneer, and the chassis was in unknown untested condition, it did look fairly complete in the photos. I figured that it might need $200 worth of work, he was adamant that it was in great shape all it needed was a simple re-cap (he could tell this by fleabay photos?), yah right! I've never worked on a 16B but I have worked on a 116, there is no such thing as a "simple" recap on a 16 or 116B or any other big Philco with Bakelite block condensers, then you have drifted resistors, and an alignment on top of that assuming there isn't anything more serious wrong with it. Unfortunately because of Philco's stubborn adherence to the Bakelite block condensers I've noticed that many of these sorts of sets received the "Quick and Dirty" servicing treatment, like paralleling old caps and other hack jobs. Something is not right with this set, if anything it should be working better on the AM broadcast band then shortwave, it could very well be an alignment issue unless the TRF stage is bypassed fro short wave, then the problem may lie there.
Regards
Arran