Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 51 mantel clock & radio

Got one of these coming. Did a Google search and there's not much info out there. I've got the schematic. Either there's not many out there or they're not too desireable. Anybody ever run into one and what'd you think?

[Image: http://www.m82a1.us/radio/Philco_51.jpg]

It's actually called a Model 551 Colonial Clock from 1932-33. This "clock" version of the Model 51 is fairly rare. This '51' version and the Model 52 Colonial Clock were combined in a small 8,000 unit run in production.

VERY nice shape!

Hi,

They turn up on Ebay from time to time and I've seen them sell there for as much as $500 a couple of years back. I actually have a couple of them, one shown on my website that started off in pretty rough shape & the other in good original condition:-

http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco551_c..._main.html

Ron Ramirez in his book lists it as fairly hard to find. It uses the same chassis as the 51 and 52 cathedrals. About 25,000 of each of these was made, which probably also includes the number of these clocks.

There is also a model 80 colonial clock in a very similar case. It differs only in that it has two knobs rather than three for the 551.

The radio shown by m82alpa (on the radioattic, I believe) has the incorrect finials and clock hands.

Paul

The standard Models 51 and 52 were well produced, as you say, but the Colonial Clock versions of the 51 and 52 were limited to a combined run of only 8,000 units.

Thanks folks.

Paul, would you be willing to sell me the correct finials for a price. The originals look a lot better. I did purchase that one from Buzz at Radio Attic although I haven't received it yet.

I should be able to find some more correct replacement hands. I'm not a fan of the spade hands that it currently has.

Hi m82a1pa,

You can obtain repro finials from Dick Oliver, whose contact info can be found on Chuck's resources page:- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.philcorepairbench.com/links.htm">http://www.philcorepairbench.com/links.htm</a><!-- m -->

The model pictured on my webpage (earlier post) has a set of Dick's reproductions, though they are a tad larger than the originals. I could tell this by comparing them with the one original (damaged) that came with my set. My other set has non-original (though very close) finials also. Seems the finials are nearly always a problem with these! I had looked a long time for one of these radios and then, of course, came into two of them within a short time of each other!

I've heard since that Dick makes slightly smaller versions of the finials for a slightly higher price, though I'm not sure how true this is. Still, the ones I bought from him are of excellent quality and a very close match and I was certainly very happy to get them!

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I've emailed him.

I'm kind of partial to early radios with clocks in them. I also have a GE S-22X with matching stand as my only other one. I've sort of wanted one of the grandfather clocks but have no more empty room in the house, or so my wife claims.

I finally received the radio and am somewhat disappointed.

The cabinet is in fairly nice shape however one of the decorative cup washers on top that secure the speaker is missing. Does anyone know where a replacement might be had?

I'm not sure if the off/on and volume control knobs are correct. They're push on, but there's not much shaft protruding through the cabinet, so they easily come off. I haven't yet checked to see if the chassis is forward as far as it will go.

The clock motor runs fairly quiet. However, it's not evident how the time is set. I'm guessing there should be a shaft that turns the minute's hand, but there's no evidence of one. If so, is there a replacement motor available or someone that can refit whatever's missing on this one?

It could be a nice radio once I get that stuff fixed up.

Hi Mort,

On the rear of the clock mechanism there should be two knobs. One is in the center and is labelled 'set' - that turns the hands to the correct time. The second (located below the first) is a starter knob that is turned to start the clock when it is powered on (the early synchronous motors were not self starting). It has to be turned the correct way or else the clock will run in reverse!

I have two 551s and on both the clocks run noisy, though I haven't attempted to service the mechanisms. I have restored one of the radios but unplug the clock when I use it (which I have to admit is not very often). I have considered replacing the original mechanism with a modern battery unit that I would leave running all the time - this should not be difficult to do (I would of course pack the original and attach it somewhere inside the case).

On one of my clocks, the lower two shafts protrude only about 3/8" and look to be original; the upper one (tuning) is longer. On the second clock the shafts are longer but look to be not original (there is evidence of them having been cut to length). The Philco rosettes, as on my website, are the correct knobs.

I don't know of a source for the speaker washers.

The words on the clock face are Philco with Electric printed below it in much smaller font.

Hope this helps,

Paul

The early synchronous clocks that are not self starting all have a slight noisy growl when they are running. This is normal. It should sound a little bit like a kitten purring. Don't be worried unless its considerably noiser than a kitten.