Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Net worth

My in laws have a Philco radio model number 41-629 with the beam of light in working condition. Any idea what it might be worth?
Thanks

As much as someone is willing to pay for it. A lot depends on condition,you state that it works but if it hasn't been serviced and is pretty original then it won't be playing for long. You will need to find someone who likes 78rpm records as it won't play 45 or 33rpm ones. In some instants the console models can be harder to sell because or their space requirements. And then there is the shipping issue.
I would guess if the cabinet is in good shape maybe $50-75 on a good day.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I Agree with Terry I'm generally only willing to pay $50-75 for a console if its in good condition wether the seller states if it works or not.

Like Terry mentioned shipping a console would be a nightmare I would never want to try or pay for it. So your pretty much stuck with locals and someone willing to drive to pick it up.

-Keith

Plus the cost of restoration the Buyer would have to spend to lengthen its longevity and address safety issues.

I just "won a Model 95. It's from 1929 and is about a 5hr round trip from here. The only reason I got it was I had one back like it in the 1970's. The old one was a model 87 with used 26's in the rf stages. The 95 is a much improved set with 24A tube and avc a big deal back early 1930's
If this model 95 had a different cabinet (lowboy) I would not have pursued it. But since I have fond memories of listening to it many years ago I felt compelled to get it. It very well have been my first console set.
Any way you may find someone who has some attachment to that particular set. Although nowdays that going to be tough to find.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I would consider reconditioning it my self, but have no experience with vintage radios.

Neither did most of us when we started. If you read through the posts here and on other sites http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php you can figure things out. If your willing to try there WILL be someone here thats willing to help you.

You can also check in your area for local radio clubs, someone there will be happy to either do the restore for you, or help you do it yourself.

-Keith

My father has 1958 Sansui. I wonder if that would be worth restoring. Not sure of the model number. Comes with one seperate speaker. It's a console model, although I don't know if the record player still works.

I think this whole question about "worth" is an interesting one. Would a 1940's or 1950's set work or sound as good as a new one? Certainly cost wise you could buy an AM/FM radio cheap. But those set don't fill the vintage,historical, or memory voids left by this new stuff. We want a radio that looks like a radio as we knew it. Some folks don't care about all that.
Terry
ps If you have the desire and a few basic skills like soldering and being able to read a schematic there are plenty of us that can guide you along to get your Philco in good order.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry