Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Two new additions

Hi All,
Just showing off a classic example of what can happen when you go wandering off on a nice spring day!
Two new additions to my collection! A model 38-4 and a model 19X. A friend called me and wanted to know if I wanted to hit an antique sale today and I said "Sure, why not!". Found them in the barn and the guy sold them both to me for $90! Of course I couldn't say no! Both sets are in good clean condition. Now- Where to put them!!!!
Kevin

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Nice catches (especially the 19X), congratulations! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice!

Wow, both are swell finds! Nice going!

Nice find Kevin.
I know what you mean about running out of space Icon_eek

Now, let Chuck Schwark know what city the dial scale is on the '38 set. He was he was gathering data on how many dial scales were made for those Cone--Centric tuned Philcos.

The dial scale has stations for Milwaukee and Chicago, they are- WIND, WTMJ, WMAQ, WGN, WBBM, WCCO, WLS, WENR, WCFL, WISN, WOMT, WTAQ and KFIZ. Makes sense as I live about 55 miles north of Milwaukee.
The 38-4 is in very good condition and still has almost all Philco tubes in it! Apart from one under chassis Philco brand replacement electrolytic cap and a newer power cord, it looks to be unmolested. The cabinet finish is still very presentable and I am thinking of trying that Howards "Restore-A-Finish" on it. Not too bad for $45 bucks!!!!!
At first I was only really interested in the Model 19X. I was intrigued by the unusual dial escutcheon! I had never seen one like that before. Was there a special reason for that design? Anyway, the guy shot me such a great deal at $45 each that I ended up with both. The 38-4 is pretty late for what I collect but I'm very happy with it.
I was kind of surprised when I took the 19 chassis out to look at it and found that instead of the bakelite condensor blocks there were terminal boards in there with caps and resistors mounted to them! Talk about early PC boards!!!!!
Kevin

Groan,gripe,complain, I never find any of those "barns" "junk stores" I must live in the wrong place. But kidding aside, you did good. Have fun Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY