Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1226

I have a 46-1226 that my dad bought after the war with his mustering out pay from the Navy. The radio works, but the speaker doesn't. The coil is bad. The part number is 36-1595. I've spent over a year looking for a replacement. Does anyone know where to find one? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the schematic
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013588.pdf

Which coil is bad? Voice coil, or field coil?

-Keith

The field coil.

In looking at the schematic it does not seem possible for the radio to work with an open field coil on the speaker as the speaker field acts as the filter choke for the power supply, without it most of the tubes will not get any plate or screen grid voltage. If the radio works and the tubes are all getting plate voltage then the problem must lie elsewhere. Now what else could be wrong with the speaker? Well it could be an open output transformer on the speaker, in which case the 6K6 tubes will not be getting any plate voltage, to one or both 6K6 tubes. The voice coil could be open but that seems unlikely, if it is open then it would have to be a mechanical break in the connection to that coil. Now the speaker voice coil could be stuck due to a warped cone, that often happens if the radio is store in a damp location; it can be repaired by shimming between the voice coil and the pole piece and wetting the cone and spider to realign things.
What exactly does this set do when you power it up? How does it behave? Have you gone through the set with a volt meter and an Ohm meter to check the resistances, continuities, and voltages of coils, transformers, resistors, and tube pins? You really should rule everything else out first before concluding that a hard to find part needs to be replaced.
Regards
Arran

The radio was turned on a played when hooked up to another speaker, so I had to reason the problem was the speaker. The speaker we used is not available. The gentleman who I did this with worked on Philcos in the 40's and 50's. Sorry for the delay, but I'm on 12 hr shifts for the weekend.

The radio might well power up if the field coil was shorted or partially shorted. Then, a PM speaker would, all other things given, would work when hooked up to the secondary of the output transformer. Guess that's a stretch, but stranger things have happened.

Speaking of breaks in a coil that may very well be the problem with the field coil, sometimes the wire breaks near the end for some reason, or the solder joint breaks down, it's worth investigating and trying to repair. In my experience it's very seldom that a field coil will burn up unless the output filter capacitor develops a dead short, I had one radio where this had happened. In any event unless the speaker is a weird size or shape you should be able to find another if the original can't be repaired.
Regards
Arran