Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Added another Philco

Picked up this Philco 71 today from a very nice lady (Lynn) who posted an ad here on the Phorum.

The cabinet is in excellent shape. A touch up here and there and it should be good to go. There is no loose veneer and looks like it has the original knobs.

The electronics thats going to be a little work. some one cut an spliced in a new cord, and its missing one of the Elec caps, and the speaker is destroyed and will need to be re-coned.

Should be a fun project when I get to it since there are 3-4 radios to do before I get to this one.. Icon_biggrin

Pics
[Image: http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m501...t-day1.jpg]

[Image: http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m501...k-day1.jpg]

Missing Cap:
[Image: http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m501...ng-cap.jpg]

-Keith

It may be just the photo finish looks pretty washed washed out like the lacquer has gone bad or has been sun bleached from sitting near a window. In any event the cabinet looks like it's in good physical condition other then the rotted grille cloth.
Regards
Arran

The front faceing picture is crap. Its in my hotel room and the lighting isnt right. The finished is pretty light but not as bad as the pic. I have been looking at restored 71's and I think this one will be getting re-finished.

Ill post better pics once I get it home.

-Keith

One of the caps are missing and the other is a Sprague. Would the sprague be original or did this radio have Mershon caps original?

-Keith

I know that the original electrolytics had copper cans, that was a practice that disappeared after 1932, whether always used Mershon brand caps from the factory I don't know.
Regards
Arran

Great set! I bought the model 70 from Lynn that was listed for sale with your 71! She was great to deal with and I am very happy with my new 70 which is in very good condition!
As to the question about the electrolytic caps. The model 70 I bought from Lynn has the Mershon copper electrolytics which is one of the reasons I bought it. However, I have two other model 70's that according to the serial numbers are both earlier than this one, and they both have the Sprague electrolytics. So my guess would be they used both styles. Maybe whatever they could get at a better price?
I'm certainly not an expert- just a thought!
Anyway, congrats on your new aquisition, I hope you have lot's of fun with it!
Kevin

I'm not 100% positive, but I am pretty sure the original electrolytics were all Mershon brand, copper cans. I have seen Spragues like the single one in your 71 mounted in 70 and 90 sets, but I feel these were replacements. Some of those Sprague caps were either nickel or chrome plated.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

did the Mershon caps have a high failure rate? I have been looking at pictures of the 71 from sources around the internet and I have seen quite a few with the sprague caps in them. Since mine is missing one I'm trying to find a replacement to fill the void. If I can confirm that the Mershon caps were originally used ill keep an eye out for some of those but they go for big money sometimes.

Or maybe just go with something that looks similar.

-Keith