Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 42-1012

Hi. My great aunt gave me this Philco radio/record player a few years ago. I've been holding on to it because I thought it was pretty cool. It works but needs a few new bulbs. I can't really "tune" into a station real well. It's sort of static like. I have no idea what I inherited from her. One day, she went into her attick and the next day she gave the radio to me. She told me it was her brother-in-law's and that she had stored it in the attic for years and years after he passed away. I'm not a collector so I don't know it's value. The conition of the consol is pretty good. There is a few nicks on the top. The top of that lid that opens to display the radio knobs that is. Other wise, it looks pretty good for it's age and the turn table turns and I believe that it is in good working order. Is this a collectible or just something old that's pretty cool?

It's an old collectable that is pretty cool.

You have a pretty good radio. It is a 10 tube set, and it recieves broadcast (AM) band and additionally has a decent (9.0-15 MHz) shortwave band. It also has the old "FM" band of 42-50 MHz, but you will not recieve anything on it.

I would refrain from playing this set until it can be looked at to make sure that it is electrically safe. You also don't want to run the risk of burning out your power transformer or other difficult to replace components.

Recommend you look for another collector in your area that can help you with your radio. Most of us enjoy helping a new collector learn about the hobby.

Thank your for replying. I have enjoyed this item for several years but now i just feel like i'm holding onto something that someone else would totally enjoy so much more than me. I have been trying to do some research on it online because I don't really know what I have. I've found that there are some collectors out there that would probably enjoy the radio more than i and considering i'll probably never have it repaired or running i'm just thinking that maybe i'll throw up for sale on craigs list or something. What do you think...should I pass it on to someone that would really enjoy it or shall I continue to hold onto it....ugh! It's so old and interesting I'm torn!

Hi ,
Personally if it was something from the family, I would hold onto it. Then make a plan to get the set restored. The set would probably only need a 'recapping' or changing the capacitors, test the tubes, and some basic checks.

I think I can see in your words that you would like to keep it. It would mean a lot more to you than a collector. It has a history. Perhaps there are family photos of that radio in the background? This is part of your connection to your family's past.

I would suggest that you try and make contact with a vintage radio club in your area. The members may be able to help you get the set electrically restored so it is reliable and safe.
That's a pretty large set and would sound great onc recapped. From what I see, the phonograph uses the Beam of Light tone arm. A different method of getting the 'sound' from the record to the amplifier inside the radio.

The cabinet could be cleaned up and waxed. There should be no need to strip your radio just because of a few 'character scratches' on it. There are parts on the front that use 'photofinish' or printed out faux grain. People who think there is good wood uinderneath are surprised to see cheap whitewood.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.