Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Safety Caps for Bakelite Block

Hi,

I'm goiing to replace the caps in my radio's bakelite block.
I have model 42-360 and the schematic calls for 2 x .01mfd @ 600volts.
I'd like to use safety caps but the highest voltage I can find is 250 VAC. Does anyone know if these are suitable replacements? If not, where can I find 600+ Volt safety caps?

Thanks

Yes, those 250vac are what you should use.

Thank you exray.
I took the bakelite block apart yesterday. I wasn't able to get that plug to slide out nicely so I ended up heating and picking with a screw tip until all of the guts were cleaned out. Its ready for the new caps now. This is my first Philco -- I'm really having fun with this.
I also have 2 Zenith's, 2 GE's, and 1 Emerson. Additionally - I have one Panasonic clock radio that dates to the early 70's -- that one is solid state -- it was my dad's. It doesn't play well and it has a telechron clock that makes a whole lot of noise. One of these years I'll probably send that one out for professional restoration since it has lots of sentimental value to me.

Thanks again for the help. As a newbie to Philco (and fairly new to the hobby) -- I've found this site to be absolutely magnificent. There is a wealth of information here that's invaluable to someone restoring an old Philco.

--Ira

I am having issues sourcing safety caps locally. Is there a place I can order just the two caps to Canada without paying more in shipping than the caps themselves?

-Mars

http://www.justradios.com/

They are in Canada. I do not know if they have a minimum order, however. Correction: I see they have a $15 (USA) minimum order.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

If you are into this hobby, it's not too hard to take a look and fill in our stash with commonly used parts to take the sting out of a S&H charge. When in doubt, you can always order a few 10,22,47,100 mf electrolytics @400 or 450 V, and you'll not be sory down the road. Get s s**t load of safety caps if you think you are going to restore many sets. The value is really not all that important, just that they fail open.

I got mine from Digikey - think they were 58 cents a piece.
I don't know if they serve Canada but it's worth checking out.
They have lots of stuff, no minimum purchase amount, no handling charge and charge actual postage!!! Check out http://www.digikey.com/

digikey has big shipping & handling charges, unless ordering a relatively large ammount (25$ I think). Problem is, I currently don't have anything specific to order besides the safety caps. I did find X style safety caps locally, but it is my understanding that I need Y.

When I get some, I'll get more than I need, but even at 50 cents a piece I wont be ordering for a (minimal order of) 15$+shipping...

Can we replace line-to-ground filter caps to cross-over safety caps?

-Mars

I ordered 2 caps @ 58 cents. Postage was around $2. Total order was under $4 - no minimum. Perhaps they have different rules for Canadian orders.

I rechecked, just to make sure. They even changed their minimal order up to 200$ in Canada

Quote:Free shipping is offered on all orders over $200 CAD*, with no additional charge for each backorder shipment.
A shipping charge of $8.00 CAD will be billed on all orders less than $200 CAD*, with an additional $8.00 CAD charge for each back order shipment.

The caps are less than 50 cents a piece, I need 2.

-Mars

Marsupial Wrote:The caps are less than 50 cents a piece, I need 2.
Send me your snail mail address, Marsupial.

Send it to my email address: mr.philco at yahoo dot com

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN