Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model 44 distortion on strong stations

Hello,
I have a Philco 44 mounted in a custom cabinet, wired for a phono according to Philco diagrams for the phono version. While the sound is good on phono, radio reception sounds like it just doesn't tune in. The "s" sound is distorted, like the station is off tune. On weaker stations, the problem is not as bad. I recapped the set, even the micas, and checked all resistors in the AVC system. Is this an alignment problem? Just looking for any ideas here, thanks...

You actually have a Model 504 then Chuck, according to Service Bulletin No. 176-A, November, 1933.

Alignment, yep. If all tube voltages are "in the park" for the RF and IF sections, it sounds like you need it. Also check the tube voltages on the detector area as well. All tubes check ok, I assume? A funky DET tube can cause distortion, which will mess around with the AVC then as well causing wierd RF/IF gain things that cause a sort of feedback loop on itself.

I'd do a good full alignment first to see if it improves - it can't hurt. If you have not done it, then it needs it anyway, especially if you have done a wholesale parts replacement.