Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 43

I just aquired a model 43 and I see that there seems to be two IF`s. One is listed as 450kc and the Philco literature says 460kc. I am not at the point of a IF alignment yet but was wondering which one to use.

Hi

The original Philco service bulletin for Model 43 specifies 450 kc, and a supplement with alignment information for the 43 also specifies 450 kc.

What Philco literature are you referring to that specifies 460 kc? Just curious.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hope you figure it out, but in all honesty it probably wouldn't make a difference. As long as everything was peaked in approximately the same range, you schold be good to go. Didn't have no accurate frequency counters in the average shop way back when.

My Philco service bulletin archive also lists 450KC as the IF frequency for the Model 43.

Maybe a typo in a Rider's or Beitman?

Chuck

The Rider's info in Volume III, Philco pages 3-13 and 3-16, also specifies 450 kc.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Actually it does make a difference peaking the IFs at the wrong frequency, I had a set I repaired about two years ago, also a Philco, that had the wrong IF frequency listed on the data sheet it said 460 KC however the IF cans themselves said 455 KC on the side. I tried it one way at 460 KC and then the other at 455 KC and it made a huge difference in performance, it was 455 KC as it turned out.
Regards
Arran

Ron, The literature I was refering to was Philco-Essential Service Data on All Models that lists the IF for model 43 as 460kc. Also the book "Complete Instructions for Adjusting All Philco Receivers" lists the IF as 460kc on page 23. This radio also has a type 44 in the 1st detector and Riders 3-14 says that the 44 is replaced with a type 36 but it doesn`t state that the 1st detector should be changed to a type 36. The power Xformer is a replacement that only puts out 450v plate to plate-about 216 volts at the 1st filter cap [prt. no. 72 ]but I have left it in until all of the repair work it needs is done. I plan to replace it before alignment and that lead to my question about the IF difference as the voltages will be higher when the new Xformer is installed. Thanks, Mike.

Well,I got back to this set and I replaced the power xformer so the plate voltages are close to where they should be{245v vrs 160v}. I hooked up the signal gen. and set it on 450kc and got nothing. I changed it to 460kc and got plenty of signal. I stopped there because the instructions were a bit odd. They want to set the oscillator to 175kc and I think they want you to leave it there when you align the set at 700kc and 1400kc{ the 4th and 8th harmonics}. Why not change the oscillator to 700kc and adjust the 700kc variable cap. for 700kc and do the 1400kc {on both bands} the same way? Thanks,Mike.