Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 118 - No Speaker

Hello to all.
I am so lucky to have found this radio which appears to be complete and in pretty good condition except it is missing the speaker. I have been reading the forum and understand the importance of replacing the capacitors and checking resistor values, etc. However, where on earth am I going to find the speaker I need to start the restoration process? I haven't found to much information on this model, so I am a little concerned. What is the best way to proceed? Does any one of the members have a spare speaker they would be willing to part with for a fee?

Thank you all in advance and for a wonderful forum.
Scott

Hi and welcome!

Which version of the 118 do you have? Is it a console (floor model) or cathedral or tombstone (table model)?

The cathedrals and tombstones use an 8 inch speaker that is becoming expensive when found due to high desirability. On the other hand, I believe all of the console versions use a 10-1/2 inch speaker that is not too expensive when they come up for sale.

The correct original speakers for these are:

Cathedrals/tombstones: K-17
Console models: H-13

These numbers are stamped in ink on the backs of the field coil "pots." The ink does not always hold up over time, and often you may find a Philco speaker but cannot determine which model it is since the ink has faded away.

The important thing to know is that these are electrodynamic speakers with a field coil instead of a permanent magnet. A push-pull audio output transformer will be attached to the speaker frame. The field coil value is 1125 ohms.

Any Philco speaker of the proper size may be used, provided that it has an 1125 ohm field coil. You can change the output transformer to the type you need if you have to.

In an extreme case where you cannot find an original Philco speaker, you can substitute a modern PM speaker but I would only recommend this as a last resort. You will then have to use one that has provisions for mounting an audio output transformer on its frame. You will also have to add a 25 or 50 watt resistor inside the chassis to simulate the missing field coil.

Watch eBay; these speakers come up there on a somewhat regular basis. But, as I say, the 8 inch versions often sell for high prices.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you very much for the information Ron. I will keep my eye out for an H-13 on Ebay. There is one on there now, but it isn't identified other than it is from a 112 model. I don't know if that would work or not.
Thanks again.
Scott