Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1262 record changer problem

I recently acquired a Philco 48-1262 Radio/Record Changer. The radio works great. The record changer powers up and turns but there is no output from the stylus. There is a brown cloth cord similar to ones I've seen on antique telephones that has been disconnected. It contains one yellow wire, one bare. The end that is connected goes to an R/C network in the lower right hand of the cabinet. I do not know where to reconnect the other end.

Hi and welcome!

Disregard my previous comments made in this post, which were erroneous and have since been removed by me. See my post below.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have included a couple of photos. The cloth brown wire is the one that is disconnected on the other end. The black wire with the tape around it at the top of the photo goes up into the tone arm of the record changer. I presume that since there is no sound from the record player that brown wire needs to be connected somewhere, though I suppose it is possible that there is a problem with the cartridge. I can't see it but there may be a terminal strip on the back right hand of the tube chassis. Is this where it goes perhaps? Thanks for all help!

Oops. It looks like only one of the photos posted. I will ad the other one this evening.

Here's the other photo that shows the connected end of the brown wire.

OK, that wasn't what I was expecting. I need to go look at the 48-1262 schematic...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Disregard my previous comments about the autotransformer. I now see this model used a crystal pickup, so it did not utilize the autotransformer as used in some 1946 and 1948 Philco radio-phonographs (along with a phono preamp stage).

You have a Code 122 set, judging by the second photo you posted as well as the "MODEL 48-1262-122" stamped on the back of the chassis in your first photo. The changes sheet for Code 122 of this model mentioned a terminal strip with two capacitors and a 1 meg. resistor, which is shown in your second photo.

That cable should be connected from that terminal strip into the radio chassis, with the center conductor going to terminal 13 of the radio-phono switch, and the shield connecting to B-. C200 is not used in the Code 122 version of this model.

At this point, you need the factory service data. Since Chuck's schematic copy service cuts off at 1947, he may - or may not - have this info. It wouldn't hurt to ask:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

You can find the info at Nostalgia Air - but follow the notes for the 48-1283 included in this link:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013614.pdf

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here's another photo after removing the chassis. Where the yellow wire was cut is fairly obvious. A piece of it can be seen hanging down from the radio/phono switch. I could find no other evidence as to where the bare wire goes, however. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's a photo of the cut wire. I'm wondering why it was cut in the first place. Is there another problem that I will find when I get things reconnected?

Like previously mentioned you know where the yellow wire gets connected, the other one goes to B- (not the chassis.)
Someone probably clipped this off when the cartridge opened up or the wiring to the tone arm was broken and they chose not to have it fixed.

Under those circumstances the set would hum badly when you switched the mode to phono. You can verify this easy enough and find out if my theory is correct.

The isolating capacitors on the terminal strip were added in to prevent a significant shock hazard on the turntable surface, but in turn created another shock hazard on that strip. Small as the replacement caps are, I'd want to put all this stuff back in the chassis where it belongs.

I used a clip lead to temporarily connect the yellow wire to the switch. I connected the bare wire to test point "B" as described in the 48-1262 troubleshooting guide as shown in the Section 1 drawing. Did I connect it correctly? As suggested would probably happen after I powered the unit up, there was a loud buzz/hum in the turntable section. The radio remained clean. Touching the stylus with my finger varied the intensity of the hum. Any suggestions on the best way to safely remove the cartridge and where to send it to be rebuilt?

Defer to Ron et al. Looks like that's why.

I just received my rebuilt cartridge and new stylus. It sounds great! All the mechanics of the changer work except the auto return. Manual reject works fine. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the auto return to work? I have done cleaning under the table but no lubrication or adjustments.

It would appear that the single 78 record I had was not able to trip the auto return mechanism. The four more records that I have since acquired all trip correctly. Rotten luck, I guess in picking a bad record to test with. Though, all things considered, lucky in that the changer still works after probably sitting idle for more than 20 years!

Everything seems to be working correctly now. I have cleaned, detailed and used "Restore-a-Finish" on the cabinet. It looks great! And it is all original except for the back cover I made to replace the missing one. Thanks for all the help I received on this project!