Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need some help

I am new to both this site and to restoration of my Philco radio and I have a couple questions I hope you can help me with. The chassis is type 14 with a code 121.
I aquired this radio some 20+ years ago and at one time it did work. Over the years it has sat unused and untouched (I did replace the fabric in front of the speaker a few years ago). I would love to get it back in playing condition.
Today I plugged it in and turned it on thinking I could see that all the tubes lit up. Well they all did except for a type 80 that was broken. Then I smelled the transformer getting too hot, in fact it started smoking so I unplugged it and have pulled the chassis out of the cabinet.
I am looking to try to find a transformer to replace ole smokey. The transformer has Philco 6804 stamped on the bottom. I have tried to search the web for this replacement but have not been succesful so I am hoping you can direct me where to look. I have not desoldered any of the wires yet because I want to do them when i replace so i don't screw up where they go.
Looking forward to all the help and ideas you can give me.

Hi

Perhaps it will help if you have the specifications of the original:

High voltage secondary - 700 volts center-tapped (VCT), 135 mA
Filaments - 6.3 volts center-tapped, 3.5 amps
Rectifier filament - 5 volts, 2 amps

A Hammond HX-273BX will be an excellent replacement for the original. The Hammond is a vertical mounting transformer like the original, and it has higher current capacity than the original. Pricey at $78.06 from Radio Daze, but still cheaper than a Heyboer custom-made transformer.

This is why an old radio should never be plugged in until it has been thoroughly checked out for trouble such as bad electrolytic capacitors (and 75+ year old electrolytics are usually bad). The consequences of plugging in an old radio can be costly!

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/plugin.htm
http://www.antiqueradio.org/powerup.htm

Oh, and Edcor Electronics also offers what looks like another good choice as a replacement, with plenty of reserve current capacity and cheaper ($60.95) than the Hammond:

http://www.edcorusa.com/products/820-xpwr179_120.aspx

I think the Edcor would be the better choice, as its primary is designed for 120 volts while the Hammond primary is designed for 115. With today's higher line voltages, 115 is really too low these days as running that transformer at 125 volts will result in higher than published secondary voltages.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Your power transformer may not be "cooked".

Pull the 80 rectifier, plug the radio back in and turn on. If it starts getting hot w/o the 80, it's cooked, if not measure secondary voltage at socket of the 80 and all filament voltages.

I replaced a power transformer recently, with a Hammond. It had taps for 115 and 125, but it was not advertised this way. What a pleasant surprise! Of course, I connected it to the 125 tap, and man does it run cool!

Nonetheless, I'd still go with the Edcor, since it's less expensive.

-Greg

Thanks for your quick responses!! I ordered the Edcor transformer and found a type 80 tube. I think I will replace the power cord while I am soldering the transformer in.
It will be nice to be able to listen to this radio again. My wife's Grandmother left it to me when she passed so it has sentimental value.

Ordered and received the Edcor transformer, but the wires are different colors than what is in my old radio so I am unsure as to where everything needs to be soldered. Does anyone have a schematic? I need to make sure I do not wire this wrong. Thanks in advance for your help.