Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 76 dial cord and stringing question

Hey all!
I just have a quick question. I have to replace the dial cord on my 76. I see the original cord was some sort of braided wire. Is there a good modern substitute? also would like to know if there is a diagram of how the cord is strung anywhere? As always any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Kevin

Can you snap a pic of it? I just did one on a 95 and I think it might be the same. Has two cords one in the front and one in the back. They go around the dial drum and get wound up onto two worm gears one in the front and one in the back. One cord pulls as the other pushes.
It's kind of a pain to restring.The cords are 16" loop to loop and I used steel picture frame wire.
Terry
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=3531

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Don't see the 76 listed in the index, but you may be able to find something similar here.
http://www.theoldradiofixerupperguy.com/...0cord.html

Thanks guys! Terry, I think you are right. What you describe sounds just like what I have. I think I have it figured out. I have one cord that is intact for a pattern. I ordered some nylon dial cord from Radio Daze and I will see how that works. If not I will try picture hanging wire like you did. It looks like tons of fun to restring Icon_crazy !
Kevin

Hey Kevin
It's not hard just takes a lot of paitions to get it all together with out it slipping apart. It took me about a hour get it working.
Good luck
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I have a 76 on the bench right now so I can get photos/count turns or something if you want.
-Sam T.