Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-45 restoration: speaker wiring question and more

Hello - My brother gave me a Philco 39-45 console radio a neighbor was carting off to throw in his condo complex dumpster..... a last minute save! I have experience restoring a 1943 Coronado console radio from a few years ago so I'm hopeful things will go well.
Before I even got the chance to take the chassis out to examine the electronics, I noticed the speaker and socket had cut wires hanging off them. Also didn't notice the field coil piggybacked on the speaker frame. I did a bit of research and read the field coil is attached to bottom of chassis? Well, my main concern is to find if the cut/loose wires are normal for this configuration before going any further.
Attached is a photo, I hope someone can check it out and tell me what's up.
I'm also going to report back to this thread if I have any concerns when I get the chassis out.... thanks, and please stay "tuned".

The cut/loose wires look like someone used the speaker to hook up an external audio player to play through the console. See if you can figure out where they connect. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.

Thanks for your reply, Jimmy.
That sounds very possible.... maybe they tried to splice in the output of a phonograph? I'm guessing the top speaker terminal wire might go to the cut socket wire and the bottom speaker terminal wire goes to the wire hanging down from coil winding.
I'll wait to see what others say before trying this.... would hate to blow any transformers.

Hi Greenskull and welcome!
Well the field coil is on the speaker where the magnet would be if it where a modern one.So it's there and looks to be in good shape but you are missing the output transformer. Some sets the output transformer is mounted on the radio chassis.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

7estatdef Wrote:Hi Greenskull and welcome!
Well the field coil is on the speaker where the magnet would be if it where a modern one.So it's there and looks to be in good shape but you are missing the output transformer. Some sets the output transformer is mounted on the radio chassis.
Terry

Thanks Terry, for the field coil info. The output transformer should be on the chassis (from what I read). Now I just need to know how to connect the cut wires.

Ok if that is the case then what you will have is 4 wires coming out the the FC. Two of them come straight out of the FC. Those will go over the speaker plug. There maybe two other wires that come out right above the FC. Those go to the hum bucking coil. It's a separate coil NOT connected to the field coil. The HBC is connected to one side of the voice coil and the other goes to the output transformer. (it's in series with voice coil)
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for your patience, I'm learning as I go.
Apparently I'm missing the humbucking coil as you mentioned, but it isn't noted on the schematic I have, unfortunately. Is it usually mounted directly on speaker frame?
I took a look at the field coil and found 2 bottom wires coming out (near speaker frame) that connect to speaker plug socket and 2 others near top of coil with one going to speaker plug socket and the other cut. I guess it all comes down to getting a replacement humbucking coil... any advice or tips on selecting/finding one?
Thanks again for your time and help, I appreciate it very much!

It's possible that it may not have one. It isn't imperative that it have one.
Terry
Glad to help.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The humbucker winding was to reverse or nullify the inevitable 60 cycle (and it's more audible 120 cycle) hum from your ears by creating a counter force out of phase. As noted, may or may not be present depending on the speaker and set. Silly at best with a period speaker less than 6 inches in diameter. If this winding is compromised, just up the value of your filter caps a little bit, say 10 % down the line, to take up the slack.

I just alligator clipped the speaker/socket/coil leads together and luckily got it right.
Took a chance and fired it up. Picked up Mexican music in one spot on the dial and just a bunch of hum on the rest of the dial. At least the power and output transformers seem to work.
There is no antenna coiled in this thing.... just a terminal screw pad for ground and external antenna. I switched over the solid core wire that was used as the ground wire to ANT. for the test.
All but one of the pilot lights don't work and that one is intermittent. All the tubes glow that I can see... haven't taken the metal shields off some to check.
I will do a recap and replace or sleeve rotten wires next and try to test the pilot lights to see if they are blown or not. Replacing rotted out pushbuttons and power indicator lens will come later if all goes well. I'll keep this thread posted with my progress.
Thanks to everybody for chiming in, I appreciate the sharing of knowledge and effort in helping me along.

UPDATE:
Well, I'm seriously considering throwing in the towel after taking the chassis out and looking at all the rotting insulation on the wires. Not a fun job replacing all that.
Also frustrated with not being able to get the dial lamps to come on... I tested for shorts and found the 6.3 volt line to be shorted to ground somewhere. Weird thing is the power indicator lamp comes on okay. This thing is a nightmare of wiring: pinched wires under tube sockets, though components.... maybe someone with more experience wouldn't be so daunted.
Are the parts worth anything to anybody if I decide to break it apart and get rid of it?

greenskull Wrote:UPDATE:
Well, I'm seriously considering throwing in the towel after taking the chassis out and looking at all the rotting insulation on the wires. Not a fun job replacing all that.........
No it isn't a fun job, but if you look at it as just one or two wires at a time it gets less intimidating. That is a really nice performing radio and think how proud you'll be being able to save it from the dumpster!

I'm going to e-mail you a link that might give you some inspiration.

Good Luck!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Well my response just got trashed somehow, but agree with all. We will help you pro bono. Seems like you have better than 80% chance of restoring this set for small money (well under $100 including the buttons.) You can then enjoy it for a long time until someone drags it out of your home to the dumpster when you're not. Up to you.

Elliot Ness - Thanks for the encouragement and link. I'm back in! Your tip about focusing on a couple of wires at a time makes sense. I'll start with replacing the 6.3v heater wires and dial light wiring and take it from there. That radio in your link was in a lot worse shape than mine..... made me feel ashamed to give up.

codefox1 - Thanks, I agree it's worth the extra effort to save it from the dumpster..... it was killing me thinking I was the one who might end up dumping it. Hopefully I can keep costs under $100, but I may be pushing it with replacing a 6a7 converter tube I just broke while cleaning. Icon_rolleyes

Really great to know I have technical and moral support here. You radio guys are good folks! Icon_thumbup

Alright, getting ready to order parts, but first have a quick question regarding sleeving the wires coming out of the power transformer (rubber dry rotted):
Is heat shrink tubing okay for this or should I get some of that fiberglass spaghetti tubing?

Thank you!