Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

116x Rectifier light show

A bucking transformer is a good idea on these sets. I have one in my 16B and have used it for many,many hours with no problems. I also added a CL-90 thermistor on one side of the AC line to prevent current surges at start up. Getting the AC line voltage down to around 105-110 VAC is a good idea and will not change the performance of the set at all. Check your voltages at startup on the capacitor that is having problems with the rectifier installed.

Ron Ramirez Wrote:In your 116, with a higher input B+ voltage (especailly if you were to run it at full line voltage), you may have to switch to a 500 volt electrolytic. There is someone who sells these much cheaper than anyone else I have found so far on the Web - Studio Electronics.

http://www.studioelectronics.biz/sunshop...ail&p=1729

Wow..Great find Ron!. The shipping is a little high, I checked on 20 Caps, it was $14.40, Just Radios is $7.90. I think that is a flat rate too, he does have the 500V and higher rated caps.

Glenn

You could also wire two 20 mf in series and you would then end up with a 10 mf at twice the voltage. Some like to add bleeder resistors, say 330 K across each cap when they wire them this way. This is done a lot in guitar and audio amps. Jameco is also a good source, and it's pretty easy to find enough stuff you can't live without to take the sting out of shipping.

I took your advice and ordered 500v caps. I played the radio for awhile last night through a variac set at 108v with no issues. I am hoping the only issue is high line voltage. Where would be a good place buy the bucking transformer I would need to construct a set up like yours. Gary

In my case (AK 92) it turned out to be a speaker wire making intermittant contact. At first I thought the 2K ohm coil was open, but it was the wire just above the jack. This would cause max B+ being felt at the - side of the cap that was failing.

Rewired the entire jack, as there were 2 more wires approaching the condition of the bad one, and am listening to the race on the AK as I write this.

TA Forbes Wrote:In my case (AK 92) it turned out to be a speaker wire making intermittant contact. At first I thought the 2K ohm coil was open, but it was the wire just above the jack. This would cause max B+ being felt at the - side of the cap that was failing.

Rewired the entire jack, as there were 2 more wires approaching the condition of the bad one, and am listening to the race on the AK as I write this.

Yes.... the AK sets have that rubber coated wiring that gets brittle. I have a 206 and 447 that I had to rewire much of the wiring.
I've found excessive draws that cause filter cap problems. Hopefully by using the higher rated cap and a bucking transformer it will solve the problem he is having..but if two capacitors went south there may be a draw somewhere. Both my 16B and 116 have been fine with 450V rated capacitors.....even when they were running on normal line voltages.