Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

finally beginning 118

Good Afternoon..
Well it's time to begin the Philco 118 Highboy I acquired from a phellow phorum member. Attached are a couple of pictures. As I dig into it I may have some questions. the first one I have is, the long WW resistor in the picture of the underside of the chassis is bad (it's number 60 on the schematic). What should the watt rating being for this 6500 ohm resistor? Would 7 Watts be big enough? I ordered the 40 gauge wire for the shadowmeter so when that arrives I'll work on that as well. Does anyone have a closeup of the shadow meter light bulb socket? This one seems to be broke and bent up, I just need to know what to look for Icon_wink I am also in the market for a scrap electrolytic cap to fill the whole in the left rear corner it's 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 in diameter.
This should be fun.. Icon_biggrin
Glenn

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Glenn,

I have a couple caps the size your looking for on their way to me. I bought them for my 71 but then found some Mershon caps for it. Once I get the caps i'll shoot you a pic of them, if you want one you can have it for postage.

-Keith

That would be great!! Thanks Keith, just let me know.

I'd use a 20 watt resistor there. It;s going to get warm. Would be great if you can find one like the original and then you can use the same mountings. Have a look and make sure there are no issues with the field coil winding.

Good call. I'll check that when I get home. Finding a direct replacement may be difficult. I found 6800 ohm replacements at Mouser buy I think the biggest they sell is a 13 watt unit.

Hello, Glenn: dumb question, but is it bad?

Have you tried Play Things of the Past for your resistor?

RS Electronics has a 25 watt power resistor that adjusts from 1 ohm to 25K ohms. You adjust the slider on the resistor and when you have it at the value you want, you tighten the slider so that is is in effec a "fixed" resistance.

http://www.rselectronics.com/Catalog/Sea...44&HT=1314

TA Forbes Wrote:Hello, Glenn: dumb question, but is it bad?

Hey Tom,
The resistor is bottom center in the 2nd picture. It's supposed to be wirewound over the complete length. It's crumbled. I will try PTOTP, and if not then the link you sent is an option, I would like to keep it as original as possible.

Thanks,
Glenn

TA Forbes Wrote:Hello, Glenn: dumb question, but is it bad?

RS Electronics has a 25 watt power resistor that adjusts from 1 ohm to 25K ohms. You adjust the slider on the resistor and when you have it at the value you want, you tighten the slider so that is is in effec a "fixed" resistance.

http://www.rselectronics.com/Catalog/Sea...44&HT=1314

That's no good anyhow, they have a minimum quantity on most of their parts. Try Mouser they seem to have ones that are close:
http://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Components/...j&SAP=true
Regards
Arran

P.S Why do they have a shunt from B+ to ground? Something like that between B- and the chassis makes sense? Is this related to the shadow meter?

I ordered the 7k 20 watt resistor from Mouser. I didn't need enough other items to meet the minimum order at PTOTP. Should get it and the small lytics today. Started rebuilding bakelight blocks yesterday 2 down 9 more to go. Icon_smile

Glenn

I think that I found out what the resistor is for, it was an old fashioned means of hum reduction, how critical it is I don't know but the set would probably work without it. I think that I may end up ordering one of those 7K resitors myself, one of the wire wounds in my 3118 was open and it may have been that one rather then the one across the shadow meter, hopefully 20 watts is all it needs. Speaking of 7K I think that was the model of Philco speaker that these sets used, if it was I am in the market for one.
Regards
Arran

Speaking of Shadow meters and shunt resistors, This chassis didn't have the 2900k shunt on the shadow meter. After looking at another picture of a 118 chassis (Thanks Ron), the location where it should be was located. However this one looked like it never had it. All the labeling is gone on so I have no idea what "code" number this was and nothing I have read indicates any production changes that would have affected this resistor being left out.

Glenn

Hi guys,
I'm still rebuilding bakelite blocks and have a question. #72 on the schematic shows a .25 mfd single cap. it has 3 leads at 2,4,7 per the Philco service bulletin. The solder connections were pretty grimy/dirty, but it appeared there were only cap connections on numbers 2 and 4, however when I pulled it apart there were two condensers in there. One of them had very obvious leads to the top, but the other appears to not have been connected to anything. So I did some research and found out the part number, 6287-r, was changed to 6287-ODU and it shows a dual .15 Cap and different connections. On the number 7 terminal is a connecting point for resistors 67,68, and 26 also a feed to the 1 mfd elect. cap number 46. Icon_eh
If I configure this block with the double cap as the part number shows, that would add a cap between the filter choke number 71 and the resistors, which I would think would be incorrect. Can someone please verify this so I can continue on, this was pretty butchered in the distant past and my mind is fried at this point. Icon_crazy

Thanks,
Glenn

glennpr Wrote:Does anyone have a closeup of the shadow meter light bulb socket? This one seems to be broke and bent up, I just need to know what to looks for Glenn

I took photos of my meter bulb socket last night. As soon as I download in a few days I'll post them for you.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Thanks!! Icon_thumbup
Glenn

PhilcoMike Wrote:
glennpr Wrote:Does anyone have a closeup of the shadow meter light bulb socket? This one seems to be broke and bent up, I just need to know what to looks for Glenn

I took photos of my meter bulb socket last night. As soon as I download in a few days I'll post them for you.

Mike

Glenn,
Here are three photo views of the light socket. The shadow meter has been temporarily moved out of the way in the photos. Could I offer these in trade for a front and side view of your 118H cabinet? I am needing to refinish mine.

Thanks,

Mike

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952