Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor Tester

I was told that most that restore old radios use a capacitor tester, an in-circuit tester for some of the ceramic/mica caps. Is the true? Any recommendations for such a tester?

Thanks.

There's no good way to test a capacitor in circuit when it is shunted with an inductor or resistor. Modern digital hand held meters that read capacitors do not apply significant voltage to prove them good or not, but can mostly show how values have drifted up or if capacitor is completely shorted or open. Old time bridge contraptions and capacitor checkers can test somewhat the condition under load and even re-form those ticking time bomb electrolytics. I have an old Eico 950B that can drill down pretty well on a bad part. I use it pretty much for curiosity purposes.

If you have an antique radio and want to restore it, best just replace all the capacitors, and while you're at it, all the carbon resistors as they will also have drifted up , and are prone to temperature variations after all those years. Makes a huge difference when you finish up and align the set.

Thanks Codefox1. What you said is also my understanding of circuits, but I add limited understanding. Sitting around the campfire a friend, hearing I was undertaking a restoration project, said I should get one. Maybe for curosity sake.

I,m very happy with industry standard capacitotor analyzer made by Sencore model LC-75.Capable analyzing capacitors out of circuit(capacitor disconected) for value,leakedge,ESR.More expensive versions LC-77,100 etc.I think are capable in circiut capacitors analyzing/checking.There is no guess work with Sencore units !!(Pssst..do not tell anyone)

A simple checker I use for coils and such is Elenco CM-1555. Works well enough.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?h...CDYQ8wIwAg

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

I have an "oldie but goodie" Jackson 112 condenser checker that I love!