Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Condenser Question Model 46-1213

Electrolytic condenser can C54 both A and B sections are 10 MF according to the schematic (Rider). The actual values as listed on the can shows 10MF for A and 15MF for B. No question in my mind but to go with 10 and 15.

Right decision?

makes sense. When in doubt go higher on filters.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

wakani Wrote:Electrolytic condenser can C54 both A and B sections are 10 MF according to the schematic (Rider). The actual values as listed on the can shows 10MF for A and 15MF for B. No question in my mind but to go with 10 and 15. ....

Hmmm after looking at availability at 450V looks like I will go with 16mf for A and 16mf for B. JJ has those.

Sounds good . The only caveat is on the older sets from the late 20's that use very small caps like .5 or 2.0 mfd to never use a larger cap at the input . That would be the one closest to the rectifier tube. You can use them further down in the filter network. What happens is it will raise the high voltage significantly which can cause problems like overheating the BC resistor.
Sometimes it can be a help to juggle this value if some one has replaced the power transformer Icon_thumbup if you need to compensate for a transformer that is a bit high or low in output.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry