Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speaker Cone Restoration - 46-1213

This morn' I pulled the speaker. It is has no tears, the surrounds are good. The cone is bone dry and very brittle, WoW, after only 64 years of service.

I plan to use Ailene's Tacky Glue, mixing 1:1 water/glue, carefully and lightly paint the entire surface of the cone. After that dries, with a 1:2 water/glue mixture, I will again paint the entire surface. I do not think that this will afect the sonics, much if at all, but should give that old speaker a couple more years of life? Thinking the 1:1 mixture would be ok, but might mix 2:1 water/glue for the first go.

Any thoughts?

I don't know what the consistancy is of Eileens Tacky glue or what it is used for but if it is for fabric it should be fine as long as it isn't too thick, or if you water it down, you want it flexible. What you don't want to use is either silicone, regular white glue, or yellow carpentry glue, silicone beads up and falls off and regular white and yellow glue dries stiff like plastic. What I would do is test the Tacky glue on a scrap piece of paper in various consistancies just to see what it does, I did this while testing alternatives to contact cement this week and the glue from a dollar store glue pen seemed to stiffen the paper less then the craft glue I also tested, I did not water down either type. The glue pen glue seems to work well to strengthen a brittle paper cone but I would still use contact cement on something like a cloth spider. By the way you should shim between the voice coil and the pole piece in the center otherwise the moisture in the glue may pull the cone out of allignment, you can use old flim negative for this or some other stiff but thin material.
Regards
Arran

Parts Express offers speaker cone repair parts and protective coatings for old cones:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/sea...N=82081842

They also have a speaker repair service:

http://www.parts-express.com/speakerrepa.../index.cfm

Steve D

Thanks. PE are good folk, looks like that polymer will do the trick. Will try it.

Also look up $1 solution to fixing speaker cones, the thread is near the top of the page.
I just tried the dollar store glue pen recently and it seems to work. The stuff from that speaker place is probably some form of general purpose contact cement or Thompsons water seal with a fancy label and a higher price tag.
Regards
Arran