Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna choice

Hello,

I have Philco 37-630.. original literature shows that they were sold with the Philco High Efficiency Aerial. Of course I don't have one, is there anywhere to get one ? Or is it even necessary, what would be a adequate antenna for this radio ?

Kurt

Random-wire works fine. As long and as high as possible. You can get some reception even with 10 or 20 feet indoors but a longer outdoor wire will substantially improve DX reception. No need to hunt for the special Philco antenna.

Gotta wonder what the special Philco antenna was. Does anyone know?

-Greg

gvel Wrote:Gotta wonder what the special Philco antenna was. Does anyone know?

I think it was just an antenna "kit", one with a lead in wire, an antenna wire, a pair of insulators, and possibly a lightning arrestor.
Regards
Arran

I'm pretty new to old radio repair, too. I live on the first floor in an apartment. Does the choice of wire matter or the gage? I've got about 20 feet of old speaker copper wire elevated several feet off of the floor running around my living room. Can I add some smaller gage copper wire to the end to make a longer antenna run? Should it be soldered together? Any other tips you can offer me? Thanks, Tom

Your antenna is indoors, so wire size will not make a difference. If it was outside, a larger wire would be a better idea, since it would hold up better to weather.

No need to solder your splice together, just make sure you have a good connection and tape it. On the other hand, no harm soldering it.

While you're adding length to the antenna, have the radio on and see if there's an improvement.

-Greg

Greg, Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try that. Tom