Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring a Model 89-123 I think

Hello everyone. I have a Model 89-123. It says this on the rear of the chassis. So, I went to Nostaliair on got a copy of the specs. I have now replaced all paper caps with new ones acorrding to the specs. Now I find out that this radio uses a 36 tube instead of a 77 that is on the print. Looking more closely I think this is a model 89B. Is there any changes in capacitors (cap blocks) or resistors that have to be changed from the 77 tube to the 36. This radio has 4 knobs as I understand there was a change when they added short wave and put the on off switch to the the same. The specs I have looked at are very hard to read, or very confusing. What I need is a cross reference from the new version to the old. Hope someone can help! Thanks

Hi and welcome.

You need to take a look at the following link. It gives details on all known changes to Model 89 - the most complete work ever put together on the subject.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/89evol.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks so much Ron! I have looked at the website, and it is great. My only issue is the list of resistor values and condenser values are very hard to read when on a computer.I have tried to enlarge and print, but you cant make out Location number and value. Is there a print that shows a parts list of the 89 that shows the same as the 89-123 that I can cross reference the cap blocks as well as resistor values? Thanks again!

On the link I gave you to the 89 page on my site, if you click on any small schematic it brings up a larger schematic. Click it again and it enlarges again, clearly showing the part values.

If you want the complete data including parts list, etc., you need to contact Chuck Schwark at the Philco Repair Bench. The $7.00 fee is well worth it for the quality of info you get. Use his info along with what I have given on my 89 page for complete coverage.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron! I will order a package from Chuck tommorow. You have been a great help!!