Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

With time constraints, a 6SJ7 replaces a 36

Under strong pressure to complete a Philco 19, I easily swapped a dud 36 tetrode in a charred tube socket to a 6SJ7 and a new porcelain socket. The only wiring change was the grounding of the suppressor grid. I didn't have any spare 36's or 77's at the moment. At some time in the future the owner may want it converted back to a 36 tube but until then the radio works fine on both bands.

Pete AI2V

I wonder how a socket for a type 36 would get charred? It isn't a rectifier, nor a power output tube, it's an RF amplifier tube, so unless it somehow got hit by lightning someone must have really molested the set.
Regards
Arran

It was a charred arcing path from the plate connection to ground; most likely it started with a liquid of some sort getting on the socket. Normally this is only found in audio output and rectifier stages but it's not confined to those.

Pete AI2V

Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do...especially when you have an owner who wants the set fixed yesterday. Good job in getting another one going again. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

When I do a switcheroo, I always stick a note inside saying what I did and why. Just so the next old fart doesn't have to scratch his bald head.