Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacing rubber insulators,Philco 16x

Hi guy's,
I am working on a 16x console and need to replace the rubber insulators on the tuning condenser.
Any secrets to removing and re-soldering the ground straps on the 3 mounting screws?
My 45 watt weller soldering iron doesn't seem to do the trick.
I also want to replace the electrolitic caps.
Anything special I should know about changing these?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
murf

A 100W or larger "gun". Sometime I have to use and my iron, both, to get nice flow.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Phlogiston Wrote:A 100W or larger "gun". Sometime I have to use and my iron, both, to get nice flow.

Thanks for the info.
Don't know where I can get one of those?
murf

Prefer a plumber's propane torch turned down low. Use aluminum foil around any wires, etc to avoid burning any other items. Prefer to take the chassis outside.

Richard

rghines1 Wrote:Prefer a plumber's propane torch turned down low. Use aluminum foil around any wires, etc to avoid burning any other items. Prefer to take the chassis outside.

Richard
Wow,that sounds dangerous.
How do keep from burning everything else up.
This chassis has a lot going on.I would spend days wrapping everything in tinfoil.
Think I will stay away from this.
Thanks anyway.
murf

Hi Murf, You can find the larger wattage soldering irons used on ebay. Search for "large soldering iron", there are several on there now. The old style irons with the wood handles and cloth a.c. cords last forever and are usually in the 150 watt range. The tips last forever, about 1/4" in diameter, you will never need to change them. After those type irons heat up for about 10 minutes, you can unsolder the big braided ground wires on radio chassis easily after applying the heat for a few minutes. They also work great for direct to chassis connections. I have 2 of those type irons here at my shop, don't use them often, but when needed for what your doing, they work great! Icon_thumbup

Texasrocker Wrote:Hi Murf, You can find the larger wattage soldering irons used on ebay. Search for "large soldering iron", there are several on there now. The old style irons with the wood handles and cloth a.c. cords last forever and are usually in the 150 watt range. The tips last forever, about 1/4" in diameter, you will never need to change them. After those type irons heat up for about 10 minutes, you can unsolder the big braided ground wires on radio chassis easily after applying the heat for a few minutes. They also work great for direct to chassis connections. I have 2 of those type irons here at my shop, don't use them often, but when needed for what your doing, they work great! Icon_thumbup
Found one on Amazon for $18.00.
Will give that a try.
Thanks
murf

Hi Murf, what kind of heavy duty soldering irons are avail on Amazon? Pls post link here if possible. Are they the 150 watter big irons?
Thats great you found em online!! Thanks, ol Tex.

I have a 100 Watt iron and a 200 Watt iron, one came from a garage sale the other from a car swap meet, one is an ESICO and the other is a Solder Master but a Canadian or American Beauty will work as well if it's the right wattage. I use the 100 Watt one all the time for soldering or unsoldering things from a chassis and for soldering connections in house wire. It's almost always cheaper getting an old second hand iron and they are usually American or Canadian made, not Chinese, so they last.
Regards
Arran

Texasrocker Wrote:Hi Murf, what kind of heavy duty soldering irons are avail on Amazon? Pls post link here if possible. Are they the 150 watter big irons?
Thats great you found em online!! Thanks, ol Tex.
The one I bought is just a cheap one.
Did not look for anything bigger than a 100 watt.
Just bought it for very limited use.
murf