Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 87 questions

DKinYORKpa Wrote:Great....thanks.....I did notice a rusty, tubeless Philco 87 chassis on eBay for $24.99, 100 miles from me. I suppose that if that transformer was good and I wanted an original look, I could think about that one.

In all likelyhood it won't be good, open primaries on the audio interstage are a common failure with many radios of this era with push-pull 45 tubes not just Philcos. The original interstage is mounted inside a metal cover and the cover is larger then the newer replacements so you could mount the new transformer inside. There was also an article in a past issue od the Old Timer's Bulletin that described how to make a solid state interstage substitute, it's something that I have been meaning to try.
Regards
Arran

Not a good choice as it is designed to replace odd transformer in an early '20's battery set. use this one. http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Goto transformers/audio and get the Hammond P-T156 it's $17.
Terry
Gosh I haven't used a GOTO in a long time!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Can I assume that the 2.2 mfd caps that AES sells will be OK for the 2.0 mfd caps that go in the cap block?

Yep
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So how are you making out with the old model 87?
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Quote:So how are you making out with the old model 87?

It was on the back burner and I just tore into it today. The audio transformer replacement went well. It is neatly hidden in the old housing. Then I moved on to the cap tar box. I successfully removed it by coaxing it carefully up and reaching under it and snipping all of the wires and did not have to de-solder and disconnect all of the wires under the chassis. Next was the heat gun on the box. Very time consuming, but it's empty. I'm guessing that I'll next cut a piece of plywood to snuggly fit inside the can with terminal strip(s) to hold all the caps and wires. That's going to take a careful drawing, labeled wires and double-checking Icon_crazy .

Great! Mine started eating 80 toobs. Me thinks one of the new caps has shorted. Did play it alot over the last 6 month or so maybe 5hrs a day.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry