Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fighting with the Philco 111

I haven't had this radio out in nearly a year because of issues it developed right after getting it repaired. The Stromberg-Carlson is still stumping me so I decided to work on a lighter radio today. The 111 was whining like crazy when I was trying to use it, but when I removed the tube shield it cleared up and even the tone got better. Odd... So, did some musical tubes amd found that the two globe type 24s although testing good don't seem to like the shield. Also found out one of my spare 24s had a short when you thump it with your finger. Ok.. Put the shield back on and we are better, but it still whines alot between stations and you can basically change the tone by pulling up on the shield. Any idea why this is happening? I can see it might need re-aligned again, but this is baffling me. I'm almost tempted to just leave the shield off.
Oh, one other odd thing happened. The speaker was fine and the radio off when I went outside to help my dad. When I came back in there was a large split in the canvas speaker cone that I had put in last year. Got it repaired, but that was a strange occurance. Of course the whole weekend has been odd. Icon_crazy

No matter where you go, there you are.

That sounds like a bad bypass capacitor somewhere, or possibly one with an open ground connection, so there is feedback going on.
Regards
Arran

I'm thinking a poor ground connection somewhere.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I will have to pull the bottom off the chassis off and see what's going on under there. It was fine on the test bench and such. Only got crappy once I put it back into the cabinet last year.

Try a painted sheild one that wont get chassis ground

TROG Wrote:Try a painted sheild one that wont get chassis ground
Hmmm. That could work or a rubber strip between the shield and the chassis. Just odd that it acts up with the shield on and plays fine with it off. I thought maybe the shield was bent and making contact with the top connectors on the 24s (they are rather high set), but that doesn't seem to be the issue. The screw holes are slotted for adjustmet up and down, so might fiddle with that.