Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 80 Ant., I.F. Transformer, and Coil SPEC sheets

Wondering if any one has the spec sheets for the Ant. Transformer #2 05831, Coils: Oscillator Coil #8 05832, and I.F. Transformer #14 05834 .

This is my first radio and dont know if I can read the items in circuit. I dont have a true RMS Digital. Thank you in advance..

And you need them for what reason? If it is to check the coil windings that can be done easily with an ohm meter. There are two that are typically a problem. One is the ant coil primary and two the cathode winding on the oscillator coil. Only have had one set with bad IF transformer and was able to repair. (broken wire at the winding)
Generally they rot and go open. Symptoms are for the ant coil is poor sensitivity. With the osc coil set will only pick up a station or two in the wrong place on the dial and osc won't run.
To check just use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the winding. All if good should show a low resistance like less than 10 ohms. The exception for that is the winding in the IF transformer. Some may read higher like 50 ohms. If any are bad you'll get a reading of a few thousands ohms or higher.
I didn't look at the diagram but I'm pretty sure you can measure them in circuit but the ant primary you must have the volume full up or you will be measuring the resistance of the volume control.
Rewinding is pretty easy nothing too scary.
Terry
ps I don't have a rms reading meter either but don't tell anyone!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trog8/
Added a diagram of looking at the bottom of the chassis and the coils. It has what i measured. Digital/Analog

After reviewing your diagram and measurements the winding on the osc coil across pins 1and 3 is bad. It should read much lower in resistance not 10,000 ohms. So it's time to break out the small gauge magnet wire and rewind the feedback winding. Rumor has it that it's #38 gauge but it isn't very critical, something between 32 to 38 will work fine. 25 turns should do it. Now the important part, It MUST be wound in the same direction as the original which is looking at the bottom of the coil would be clockwise. Meaning after removing the old winding, starting by soldering bottom of the winding to the proper pin and then turning the form clockwise 25 turns. Solder that end to the remain pin and your done.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry you Know anyone that rewires them? This radio had several generations of mice living in it. Or where can i get the wire to re-wire the coil?

Thx

Bradley Rush

I have been going over what I have done in around the coil. I replaced a dogbone resistor on top of that coil. I read it as a 10K. Thats why I am asking is this a mistake?

Pretty sure radio shack has a pak of several gauges of magnet wire. It's like 28g to 36g or so.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

10K ? Don't know of one on top of the oscillator coil. There is one under the coil with a mica cap across it.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I think i still have it I hope it was ontop of the mica on mine
Bradley

ok found one of the resistor

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trog8/63300...hotostream
you can see it here

This is why i was interested in the different runs, and mods there is a talk about making a resistor and cap part of this coil

This philco 80 i have has all the mods so it appears to be a run 14

Interesting! That's the resistor and cap in the cathode. Mine is on the underside.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N0...otostream/
Don't know what run this one is.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I am in the process of trying to collect all the run info.
Page 8-25 the page with the three tables on it at the bottom list Run 12
In this run it states:
Condenser #5 (710Uf) part number 4520 becomes part of coil assembly part number 06887

no mention of a resistor though.

So do I need to remove the cap and resistor to take a reading?

just one end.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry