Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

capacitor question on a 46-200 transitone

update:

good news is that I got the radio running and it sounded great! bad news is that it quit after about 30 seconds and appears to have blown the rectifier tube. Everything quit at once (all the tubes dimmed at the same time the light bulb dimmed.

The challenge is that the schematic that i found online for a 46-200 does not match my radio which is a 46-200 code 121. They must have made a few changes as the tubes are different (my tubes match the tube label on the bottom of the case, the power cap is a 20-20 (which I replaced with electrolytics) versus a 30-25-20, and the schematic itself is quite different from how my radio is wired. It had all philco components when I got it, so my guess is that Philco must have done a few updates....

So at this point I need to figure out what took the rectifier tube out. I am going to look for a different schematic (if you have any ideas, please let me know), but I figure there's more than a couple of you that have run into this before, so any advice is sincerely appreciated!

I replaced all the audio caps with polypropolyene caps of equal value and of equal or greater voltage rating. The electrolytics are wired correctly I have checked for shorts and I can't find any. Nothing smells burnt or melted. It may just be a bad tube, but I am pretty doubtful (however that would be a nice solution as I have to get another one anyways). Not sure how to check the tubes but an old friend of mine has a tube tester I am going to try to steal this weekend.

Thanks again in advance for the advice!

Paul

Messages In This Thread
Re: capacitor question on a 46-200 transitone - by Paul D - 11-11-2011, 11:44 PM