Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radio Daze Philco dial reproductions

Good evening, I'm just about finished restoring my Philco 37-650B and I need to order a dial for it. I thought about ordering a dial from Radio Daze. Are their dial reproductions any good and is the artwork accurate on the dial?

Hi Ken

If you like pale yellow, almost white, dial scales - then, yes, I guess you could say they are good. If they are still using the Rock-Sea artwork (and I believe they are), then the artwork itself is accurate - just the color of the dial scales themselves that are too light.

Send me a PM with your mailing address, I'll send you a 37-650 scale, free. I think you'll like it better than a RD repro.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron, I sent a PM to you. I have ordered some dials from Mark Oppat in the past but the dial color can vary considerably that was why I wondered about the Radio Daze. Have a great evening! Thanks, Ken

PM answered.

Some of Mark's dial scales are a bit dark. But his have the advantage of being translucent. Laminated dial scales such as the ones from RD do not let as much light through, but are better than nothing.

I've experimented with making my own scales. Like the RD scales, mine are laminated. But I try to make the color of mine as close to original as possible, rather than pale yellow. These look a lot better inside the dial window, whether the set is on or off.

Anyone can do this; all they need is a good scanner, good photo editing software, and a little patience. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The Rock-Sea dials can be made into the correct color with a spray of transparent orange (from a hobby shop) followed by a matte spray. The color and transparency match the original Philcos perfectly.

Pete AI2V