Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice on Philco 70A basket case

Hi Mark

Getting the pin out can be done. I had a 90 that I brute force drove out. It was either replace the speaker or give it a try. What was there to lose. I took the six screws out and unsoldered the wires from the transformer and removed the speaker cone. I then placed the frame on small pieces of 2x4s under the pin and used a ball pin hammer and also some key stock ( I think, it's been a while) to drive it out. Took some work to get it to move but it finally started to move a little at a time. Removed the old wire and wound a 3/4 pound of # 36 gauge enamel wire. A pound is a better bet. Should get you pretty close to the correct resistance. I cleaned up the pin and housing with emory cloth and it was kind of loose so I drilled a hole for a 1/4" bolt and tapped it on the back side. Put the coil on, inserted the pin and put the bolt and washers. Put on the cone and hooked it up. Worked great.
You may be able to rig something up with one of the old hyd floor jacks that has the round stock in them to press out the pin.
It takes time and you talk to yourself a lot but it worked for me. If you plan your moves out you will have no problems. I have a number of pictures of the whole process. Don't know if I can post them or not. Never done it before. Honestly what have you got to loose?

Terry

Messages In This Thread
Re: Advice on Philco 70A basket case - by morzh - 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Re: Advice on Philco 70A basket case - by Terry Burns - 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Re: Advice on Philco 70A basket case - by Arran - 11-20-2011, 12:19 AM