Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice on Philco 70A basket case

It will help, and I think Terry will agree, that if you use a hammer to beat it out instead of a press to press it out, that you should remove the pot from the speaker frame. Otherwise the frame could be damaged. The pot is held onto the frame by three unusual pins that come out easily when hit a few times with a hammer and a pointed instrument.

Of course, for everyone else reading this, the cone and spider must be removed before any of this is done! Mark, I know you've already removed your cone...I believe you said it was damaged?

A long time ago, I removed the pole piece from the pot of a Philco 70 speaker by hitting it multiple times with a hammer and blunt instrument. I never finished the project. In multiple moves since then, I have lost track of the parts. It was after I separated the pole piece from the pot the hard way, that I learned that I could have had a machine shop press it out for me, and press it back in.

Terry - I went to Photobucket and viewed your other photos of your Philco speaker. Great job! Icon_thumbup Icon_clap I assume you made the hole in the pole piece with a drill press? I don't see how you could get an accurate hole otherwise.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Advice on Philco 70A basket case - by morzh - 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Re: Advice on Philco 70A basket case - by Ron Ramirez - 11-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Re: Advice on Philco 70A basket case - by Arran - 11-20-2011, 12:19 AM