Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-1009 code 122 help

Hi
I'm a newby looking for help with a Philco 42-1009 code 122. got the radio going and now working on the phono. All the info I have shows a Beam of light but what is in the console is a VM changer which somebody probably changed it to. The prints I have shows the beam of light connections (pickup goes to points 17 & 18 on the print). The power plug is not a problem as the plug is intact and plugs into the rear of the chassis where it should for 115vac (only 2 leads) but the phono pick up leads are another problem there loose with no connector have no idea on where they go (red and black in the tone arm), I have all the prints from Chuck. Would they go where it shows on the print where the beam would be one side to ground and the other to #18 the 300mmf cap? Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Well it depends wither the cartridge is ceramic (hi Z) or magnetic (low Z). Either way you'll need to connect it to 92 the input transformer. Low Z would hook to the secondary, High Z disconnect the transformer and hook it where the primary was connected.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks
But did you mean 91? One side to ground and the other to the 7C6 tube?

Thanks again for the help

Eric

Yeah 91. Don't get old you won't like it.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

To late I'm 61 and know exactly what your talking about

Thanks again
Eric

Great!! Your making me feel better I'm 55 but have some heath issues that play with my brain, or whats left of it.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Need more help!
Got the turntable going (running, new motor mounts from VM) do not have any music playing. I do get a load hum when tying it to pin 3 (grid) on the 7C6 (same point where the input xformer lead is), Have tried this with the input Xformer both connected and out of the ckt less buzz with it out. I can hear the music from the needle on the turntable so that seems to be working? What else can I check or change. Thanks
Eric

Double check your wiring from the cartridge to the audio input but I think what you are going to find is that you have a crystal cartridge that is bad. It's a common problem.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry
When I get home Tuesday I will check it out

Eric

Terry
You were right it was the cartridge. Hooked up another turntable to the radio and it played fine also checked the wiring to the VM cartridge and that was good so I will get a replacement cartridge fom VM. Thanks for the help

Eric

My pleasure!
Terrry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry