Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lubricant for Variable Capacitor

What is a good lubrication for the tuning cap?

Is there something I can use that's readily available, like petroleum jelly, or does Radio Shack sell something?
Or maybe, an auto parts store?

I'd prefer something that I put in and do not touch it ever again (I am sure the old lubrication was there since the inception - but I washed the cap in the dishwasher so it got stripped off)

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I use a bit of white grease myself, for better or worst.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Sewing machine type oil. Careful not to over-do.

I use Lubriplate - a white grease.

Chuck

TimC Wrote:Sewing machine type oil. Careful not to over-do.
Same here.

Larry

Than you all guys.

I take it, no one uses WD-40?

Actually, I found yesterday "WD-40 with white grease". What do you think?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There is a can of "Crisco" in my fridge. Use it to season my cast iron skillets.
It's white. Icon_smile

I even came up with a commercial slogan for "Crisco" (hope they see it and pay me for it):

"Crisco! Another white grease!"

PS. Went to automotive store, bought "Liquid wrench" with While Lithium Grease in it.
Worked like a charm. All squeaks and groans are gone!
Than you guys!

Agee with all for once. I use a tiny dot of lithium grease applied with a toothpick and a half a drop of WD40 sprayed in it's cap and applied the same way. Of course I do this after blasting the old crud out of there with deoxit and letting it dry over night. Sewing machine or instrument oil probably just as good.

codefox1 Wrote:I use a tiny dot of lithium grease applied with a toothpick and a half a drop of WD40 sprayed in it's cap and applied the same way.

Actually, there is pre-mixed WD40+White Lithium Grease sold on the same shelf with regular WD40 and the "Liquid wrench" in most hardware / automotive stores.