Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 128 capacitor question

Hi All,
I'm currently restoring my RCA 128. this is a set I have wanted for many years and it's a beautiful radio, but I'm finding out that it's a major pain in my lower regions to recap!! Icon_crazy Caps are buried everywhere in this set!!!! Anyway There is a 4MFD 25V. electrolytic in the circuit. Thing is- I have all the needed caps on hand and don't want to have to order just this one special. my question is- can I just install a 4MFD 500V electrolytic in it's place? I have some of these on hand. The value is the same, just the working voltage is way out there. Anyone have any input? Thanks!
Kevin

Hello, Kevin: I feel your pain, as I had to do some extensive work on my 128 that had supposedly been electronically reconditioned by someone's "technician."

Yes, you can ALWAYS replace a cap with one that has a higher voltage rating. Personally, I only order 450V electrolytics to be able to cover most applications, and 630V film caps for .001mFd-.68mFd values.

TA Forbes Wrote:Hello, Kevin: I feel your pain, as I had to do some extensive work on my 128 that had supposedly been electronically reconditioned by someone's "technician."

Yes, you can ALWAYS replace a cap with one that has a higher voltage rating. Personally, I only order 450V electrolytics to be able to cover most applications, and 630V film caps for .001mFd-.68mFd values.
Thanks for your input! I was pretty sure it would be okay. Just didn't know if the large difference in working voltages would affect anything.
Kevin