Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

tube very hot philco 42-1013

I recently got a 1942 philco console radio phonograph and it works but one of the tubes gets boiling hot and I'm afraid to use it any more. The capacitors inside look poor but they aren't leaking . Would it be a good idea to replace some of the capacitors feeding this socket or others also .---I just realized that the rectifier tube wasnt even in the unit but it still worked is this possible ?

It could be that the rectifier was replaced with modern diodes underneath the chassis. Unless other measures are taken sometimes that leads to higher voltages and may be related to overheating. But if you're referring to the audio output tube it runs quite hot in normal operation.
BTW, "leaky" caps refer to internal leakage not necessarily visible from the outside. If they are the original paper caps they probably are leaky and should be replaced if you're going to use the radio often.

Thanks for that info. Yes there are two very large what I thought were caps under the socket that don't look original. I'll start replacing some of the old caps to be safe . I can replace a 400v .001mf cap with a 630v .001 is that correct? Thanks for your help im very new to this.

yes the 630v caps will be fine in almost every application. It's about all I use anymore less parts to keep around and modern caps are smaller than the 70 year old ones.

John
Las Vegas, NV USA