Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 128 finished

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to post some pics of my just finished RCA 128. I wish I had some before shots to compare. I bought this set on Ebay last year and it was a case of something looking way better in pictures than when you get it. It took a lot of work, but I think it turned out well and it plays beautifully Icon_thumbup !
Happy Holidays to all!
Kevin

Beautiful. Icon_thumbup Congratulations, great job!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I like it! Icon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Super looking set! Icon_thumbup

For a 6 tube set the 128 is an excellent radio! Happy listening!

VERY nice job Icon_thumbup
The chassis looks great too!

Looks wonderful. Very impressive styling too - has what I call "command presence."

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Outstanding!! What a beautiful set [Image: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/a.../drool.gif]

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

All I can say is... WOW!

Beautiful Set!! Congrats!! & Enjoy !!! Icon_thumbup

I have the Canadian General Electric version of this set, it's called an M 61, has a square dial and a different cabinet design. I really should restore the set as it seems to be all there, I've heard that they are good performers. Some knucklehead added a phone jack to it and a double pole double throw bat switch in place of the rotary power switch to turn on the power, to switch out the radio and switch in the phono jack, I've removed most of that garbage. Did the speaker in your 128 have a metal baffle over the back to make the speaker look larger?
Regards
Arran

Arran Wrote:I have the Canadian General Electric version of this set, it's called an M 61, has a square dial and a different cabinet design. I really should restore the set as it seems to be all there, I've heard that they are good performers. Some knucklehead added a phone jack to it and a double pole double throw bat switch in place of the rotary power switch to turn on the power, to switch out the radio and switch in the phono jack, I've removed most of that garbage. Did the speaker in your 128 have a metal baffle over the back to make the speaker look larger?
Regards
Arran
Hey Arran,
No, there wasn't any baffle plate, just the speaker. I've seen your GE version and even had the chance to get one, but I wanted a 128. I think the chassis are a lot a like though.
My 128 plays great! and have been using it almost nightly during the X-Mas holidays. I have an AMT3000 transmitter I built this summer and have been playing Jack Benny Christmas episodes through it. It also pulls in stations all over on just a short indoor antenna. So by all means, you should restore your GE! The only complaint I had was it was a pain getting at some of the old caps that were buried in there! Good luck with yours Icon_thumbup !
Kevin

37silverstreak Wrote:
Arran Wrote:I have the Canadian General Electric version of this set, it's called an M 61, has a square dial and a different cabinet design. I really should restore the set as it seems to be all there, I've heard that they are good performers. Some knucklehead added a phone jack to it and a double pole double throw bat switch in place of the rotary power switch to turn on the power, to switch out the radio and switch in the phono jack, I've removed most of that garbage. Did the speaker in your 128 have a metal baffle over the back to make the speaker look larger?
Regards
Arran
Hey Arran,
No, there wasn't any baffle plate, just the speaker. I've seen your GE version and even had the chance to get one, but I wanted a 128. I think the chassis are a lot a like though.
My 128 plays great! and have been using it almost nightly during the X-Mas holidays. I have an AMT3000 transmitter I built this summer and have been playing Jack Benny Christmas episodes through it. It also pulls in stations all over on just a short indoor antenna. So by all means, you should restore your GE! The only complaint I had was it was a pain getting at some of the old caps that were buried in there! Good luck with yours Icon_thumbup !
Kevin

Kevin;
Would you happen to know if the U.S G.E M-61 had a metal baffle over the speaker? I'm thinking it was some sort of sleazy marketing gimick since it doesn't actually do anything, they are holes in the back that line up with those in the speaker basket. It was really funny because I didn't even notice it until I removed the speaker, my Victor 118 (which was similar) and the CGE M-81 had eight or nine inch speakers and the 118 was a five tuber.
If I ran across an RCA Victor 128 I would probably pick it up just for comparative interest, according to the manuals the circuitry is the same and dial is the only part that differs. The 128 has a prettier but more clasically styled cabinet with that stump walnut veneer on the front, the M-61 has a straighter grained veneer on the front panel (probably Australian walnut) and somewhat of a more deco look which I also like.
Did you have to paint the chassis in the 128? It looks very clean and bright. Mine seems to be in fairly good shape, I cleaned the dirt off and there was no rust, but there was lots of black crud on the IF and coil cans which came off. One of the coil cans is a bit dented up though which I will have to straighten out. It's lived somewhat of a rough life.
Regards
Arran

Hey Arran,
unfortunately, no I don't know about the baffle plate. you are probably right about it being a marketing ploy, or perhaps an attempt at protecting the speaker. Without actually seeing what it looks like I couldn't tell you.
I did paint the chassis on my 128. It had some spots of minor rust and I tried cleaning it, but it ended up looking blotchy. I removed all the IF cans as well as the tuning condensor. I masked up everything and used Krylon Satin Nickel spray paint. I left the front of the chassis unpainted as it had several factory stamped markings on it that I didn't want to cover up. I soaked the IF cans in a parts cleaner and then polished them up usings "Mothers" aluminum polish. It was a lot of extra work, but the 128 along with the Philco 90 baby grand were the very first sets I fell in love with when I was a kid. It took many years before I finally obtained them so they are both getting the deluxe treatment!
Also, like you, I wouldn't mind getting the G.E. M-61 as a comparison for the 128. I think that it has a neat Deco turn to the 128's styling. Although I don't like it quite as much.
Kevin