Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-616 Mystery Control

I'm working on a 41-616 that has been severely butchered. The radio now works, and the mystery remote control is trying to work somewhat. I'm at a disadvantage because I don't know exactly what it's supposed to do when working properly. Can anyone lead me to an owners' manual? I've seen several good demonstration videos on Youtube, but I'm looking for somewhat mre detailed information. I'm not talking about tehnical data such as schematics - just some plian talk about how the controls are used and exactly what the indications are. For example, do the pushbuttons light when manually depressed, or only in the remote mode?

Alfred,
You might find what your looking for here on Chuck's site:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/mystery/index.htm

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Did you ever talk to Michele?

I looked over the 41-616 schematic tonight. I have one of these monsters, and I intend to begin its restoration in the next few weeks. I was told it worked when I bought it, but I have made no effort to try it out since I brought it home as it is still full of the original wax and electrolytic capacitors, plus that dreaded, rotten, rubber-covered wire.

Anyway, it looks to me that each lamp to indicate each preset station will light up either when the corresponding button is pushed or by using the wireless remote (Mystery Control) to select a preset AM station or phonograph.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have recently spent a lot of time cleaning up, rewiring and troubleshooting a 41-616, and now have the mystery control trying to work. One simple question for anyone who has used this model - the band selector has five active switch positions, all very complicated. Four of the positions are tagged with pilot lamps showing the selection of BC, Police, SW1 and SW2. The position at the bottom of the rotation is wired and obviously active, but not labeled. Can anyone here identify that position? I would have guessed the to be selection of mystery control, but that function seems to be controlled by the left pushbutton, and the phono mode is controlled by the right button, I think.

Ron, do you plan on documenting your 41-616 resto here in the Phorum?

I'll try to, Tom, if I don't forget...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN