Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alignment instructions needed

yeah ok, ill give that a try tonight.

Still dont know whats up with that motor boating and poping when the radio is first turned on but I'll deal with that once I get it playing good again.

-Keith

Sounds like an alignment issue. Once you get the IF on track I bet that will resolve it.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok I went through the alignment again with the sig gen turned all the way down. When I was turning some on the caps the tone would come blasting in through the speaker. I had the Sig gen turned all the way down and on LO setting on the course Attn. Dont know why unless there is something wrong with my sig gen.

But after I Re aligned stations are comeing in better now. But there is a lot of static i tried different antenna and turning everything that generates interference off but I cant clean up the sound. Only the few very strong stations come in loud and clear.

All the coils ohmed out good, tubes tested strong.

best part its getting better!!

-Keith

Keith,
Try the high attenuation setting on your sig gen. The higher the attenuation of the signal the lower the output.
John

Well we got the radio playing very well stations from all over the dial are coming in its very sensitive..

One lingering problem remains is it will pop and squeal sometimes motorboat for about 5 seconds when its first turned on then it will go clear and play just fine after that.

We checked all the new caps swaped tubes around problems still there. Anyone have any ideas on what to try?

-Keith

Try detuning the IF stage just a little. Or you can troubleshoot it by unplugging the tubes starting at the mixer and working your way back towards the 42. Leave the 80 in place. When it stops that's the stage you'll need to have a look at.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks I'll give that whirl tonight..

-Keith

It looks to me and we suspected that the 36 tube might be bad. If I remove the tube and power the radio up its quiet, when I put it back in the motorboating and squealing happens again. It was motorboating for a long time on one of the power cycles and I detuned the primary of of the 1st IF and got it to stop but then couldnt receive any stations. I tried powering the radio off and turning it back on (while detuned) and it still did its little dance before going quiet.

I tested the 36 tube on my tester and it is just in the good range, and it shows a short on pin 4 cathode. The short indicator was just lighting wasnt real bright, but the light doesnt light at all on the other pins accept the filament which i'd expect.

I ordered a 36 tube on ebay and it should be here in a few days ill give that a try and see what happens.

-Keith

The new 36 tube did the trick no for popping and motorboating on power on.

Thanks everyone that helped out.. Now on to the cabinet..

-Keith